AC Runs/blows, But Not Cooling Efficiently - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

AC runs/blows, but not cooling efficiently

Afternoon,

I'm having issues with my AC and I cannot pin point what the problem is. To start, my unit is 14 years old. It's a trane. The interior unit is model TXa036C4HPC0 and the outside unit is model TTB036C100A1.

I've read some trouble shooting and tried things such as making sure the drain plug is clear, replacing the filter (which was dirty), and feeling the copper lines (one is cold and the other is room temp). I'm not sure what else to do without having a voltmeter at this time. Everything seems to be running fine, it's just not cooling. The inside temp will be 76 and I set it to 70. It'll cool it to 73 or 74 after an hour, but doesn't get cooler than that. It used to run at 70 all summer without a problem. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I read somewhere about cleaning the a-coil, but it is trapped in the housing of the HVAC system and I don't see how to access it without cutting a whole and making a door. Not only that, but I asked a friend who does HVAC and he said he's only had to do that twice in 25 years.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by beenthere; 08-20-2013 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Removed link to another DIY site
Pancho529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,730

Sorry, links to other DIY sites are not permitted here.

Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 650

So it has worked better before? I would seek someone with more hands own knowledge to trouble shoot this. Cleaning cois is not as rare as your friend states especiallyif you have a pet and use poor quality filters.

Do you have the same airflow out the vents? What is the temp coming out of the vents?