Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #1

Share |

AC and RH, how to find a healthy medium

Aloha, I am researching the possibility of having a cooled room with a comfortable RH of 50~55%.n Seems most AC will starve the room of RH.
Thoughts and help please. Would just adding a humidifier work well? This is for a commercial space that sells furniture. The outside RH is 50% and about 80F. The inside is cooled to 75F with the door left open and AC running just about no stop. The scenario will not change. The door stays open to draw customers, not my policy so I have not say in the matter. But am curious how to add some moisture back to the space. Wooden objects and furniture are getting damaged because of the extremely low RH that the room takes on. About 40%. The air coming direct from the AC is about 25~30% when tested with a home digital hygrometer held in front of wall hung unit.
Thank-you for any comments.

Hawaii Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
REP

You might want to google Liebert humidity control a/c units. They have unitsd from low to very high tonnage for commercial applications.

REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

My house stays around those numbers with the A/C running at 72 during the day, and 70 at night. The key is to monitor it 24/7, and if it dips below for a long period of time, run either a humidifier, or install a unit on your furnace that will introduce moisture as needed.

The offside is, if the doors are open, there is no unit out there that will keep the space controlled temp or humidity, due to you will always be sucking in outside air, and exhausting inside air & humidity. Also keep in mind, majority of the customers (well, at least 99.5%, .5% would care) do not care, nor even think about humidity levels or temp in their homes.

There are thermostats like the Ecobee, Proliphix, Honeywell VisionPro IAQ that can monitor humidity and temp levels, along with remote sensors.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 03-27-2012 at 07:19 PM.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Is this a mini split?
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #5

Hey Thanks Guys. Some great input. Very appreciated. I myself am a woodworker that puts woodwork into said Commercial space for sale. The average RH here on the east side of the Island is always moist. Wood stay at Moisture Content levels of 12~14% for average highs. Lows can be 9%. This is with the RH at about 60~75% most days. The problem occurs when the work is moved to the retail location where the space as stated gets cooled. The air is already drier on the West side of the Island about 50%, sometimes less I suppose. Not much rain over there for sure. Then the already drier air gets cooled, drops the RH even more and creates wood movement issues in many peoples work.
Asking the owner to replace two large-ish commercial A/C units is a bit much. But came over this way to ask you all for some thoughts on how to improve the environment for the work inside.
I like the idea of the Humidistat. I would guess I will find a piggyback kind, or plug-in style that a small humidifier can be controlled by. I've seen some in green house supply sites before.
Once again , I really appreciate your time taken to answer to the post.
I think I am on a good track now. This will be easier to pitch to the owner than replacing AC's.
Correy
Old 03-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #6

You may consider having an Hvac company look into speeding up the fan so you have less of a temp drop accross the A/C coil. This should provide less dehumidification to the air and possibly raise indoor humidity. Humidifiers will be a tough go with cooled air, evaporation rate will be pretty low with supply temps in the range you will be seeing.
HVACDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:09 AM   #7

Aloha Dave, you said "Humidifiers will be a tough go with cooled air, evaporation rate will be pretty low with supply temps in the range you will be seeing."
Can you clarify this a bit please? The AC is set at around 75F maybe as high as 78F. Are you thinking that 75F is too low of a temp room for a plug in humidifier to operate? I suppose the AC will of course suck the moisture right back up. The ac runs no stop I believe. It must keep recirculating the inside air , drying it each time it filters through.
Thank-you
Correy
Old 03-28-2012, 04:36 AM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Have them see if the blower speed can be increased as suggested earlier. Also, have them see if they can pull in more fresh air through the A/c system.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote