Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

AC register/grill cold air draft

I am experiencing a cold air draft from my ac vents on my first floor. I've closed the vents for the winter. Does anyone have any advise on stopping this or is the typical. We had central air installed two years ago, I can't say that I noticed it last year.

Thanks.

fishmanflats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

is the air handler up in the attic or basement and what kind of heating do you have

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Yes, the air handler is in the attic. I have hot water baseboard. I wrapped the filter in the intake in plastic to prevent any air from entering the air handler. I took down a few of the vents to see if there was air coming in from a gap between the ceiling and the duct work, but it's coming through the duct line itself. I haven't gone into the attic to verify any loose duct work, but I don't suspect this to be an issue.
fishmanflats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,004

My main return air is in the hallway 20 x 25 what I do is cut fiberboard pull the filters out put the fiber board in for the winter. On the supply's I just close them their tight enough. You can buy magnetic flat pieces and cut to size to cover the vents at HD, you can tape them (look like c---) all winter, other than that I don't know. I would like to see other options.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

attic air is dropping down the supply trunks remove the registers in that first floor cut styrafoam 2" sheets like boots to insert then piece of plastic then re install the register trim out with a razor around the grill.forget doing anything up or on the air handler it's a "brick" absorbing the cold sealing the return grill up on the second might help the air moving up as the house heats and running thru the air handler...or put a 250Watt fllod light in the fan section to reheat the air passing thru down into the space.you don't want to disconnect attic duct but blocking the supply duct opening from within the air handler will help also...block the supply from within and return grill before doing the registers stunt...
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote