Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2010, 06:41 AM   #1

Share |

AC problems

AC isn't cooling off house. the Carrier unit on the exterior of house is making lots of noise. from somewhere, there is a very loud hummm, almost like a helicopter is flying over head.

AC problems-dscf2803.jpg

there doesn't seem to be any water dripping from discharge coming from a unit in the exterior of the house.

i'm a novice at this and want to learn by fixing this myself. I ask your help

rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
fabrk8r

AC problems

First check your furnace or air handler air filter, then check the cleanliness of the evaporator (indoor) coil. If those are both clean you probably need to have your A/C serviced (check for leaks) and then recharged.

The ice on the suction line is an indication that either not enough air is flowing through the indoor coil or the unit is low on refrigerant, which tells me that there is a leak somewhere.

It may be something else, such as bad TXV, but the first things to check are what I mentioned.

rosco (06-03-2010)
Old 06-03-2010, 07:09 AM   #3

AC problems

i haven't figured out where the indoor coil is found (as we are having the back porch poured today!!!). but i turned the AC off and have been running the circulating fan for about twenty minutes. water is pouring out the discharge. i'll assume one of the guy's who will pour the concrete this morning will know where to find the indoor coil and i'll start there.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:40 AM   #4

AC problems

after another twenty minutes, "Wifey" woke up and shut the interior circulating fan off. it sounded as if a lot of ice chunks fell down through the Weathermaker 8000 unit. and cold water was dripping down onto the very dirty air filter (bottom of unit)

AC problems-dscf2811.jpg

AC problems-dscf2812.jpg

still not sure where the coils are in this interior Weathermaker 8000 or how to clean them. in Refrigeration units of industrial coolers, they were external and cleaning involved spraying with "coil cleaner" and later hosing them off.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #5
fabrk8r

AC problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco View Post
and cold water was dripping down onto the very dirty air filter (bottom of unit)
Put a new air filter in and you will have A/C. Change it once a month...check it more often if you have pets or are doing remodeling. Don't worry about cleaning your coil yet...I think you found the problem.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
fabrk8r

AC problems

BTW, your evaporator coil is inside the cabinet with the "Carrier" sticker on it that is sitting on top of your furnace.

There, you just serviced your A/C unit! Now keep a clean filter in it...that is critical. There are a lot of people who pay a service man hundreds of dollars just to come put a new clean air filter in their furnace.
rosco (06-03-2010)
Old 06-03-2010, 08:39 AM   #7

AC problems

THanks!

are these coils clean enough? AC problems-dscf2817.jpg
Old 06-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #8

AC problems

after you replace the filter, run it and see if any ice builds up on the outside line running into the condenser. it doesn't look like your coils are that dirty so you should have good air flow. the suction line (big line) should get condensation build up on it but no ice, otherwise you are low on refrigerant and may have a leak somewhere, most likely in your evaporator coil. you have a bit of corrosion, not too bad, but i had a ton of corrosion on my old one and it had little pinhole leaks in several places.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NitroNate For This Useful Post:
rosco (06-03-2010)
Old 06-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #9

AC problems

that ice at the suction service valve started back on the air handler and works its way out to the compressor completely covering it...that helicopter noise is the liquid within the compressor and the valves trying to compress it...evap looks clean plenty of air prior to ice build.KEPP AN EYE on that insulated line going out of the furnace...first sign of ice shut the cooling and leave the fan only on.when the tech checks for leak and probably won't find one....starts to add gas with ice on the lines you will see it drop off as the suction pressure rises.until you have service don't let the ice walk out of that furnace and head outside....could blow the compressor windings and or valves.$leak check tip for you...if you have a small leak outside or inside there should be oilly residue on the line or coil..oil droplets leak with the refrigerant with air over that you might see as if you where looking at your car engine wet dirt same thing on AC leaks..see any dirt soot build up at the condenser FINS 2-3" up from base ..leak check is all time billed to you if you pick up wet dirty oil that is money saved if you point the guy to an area

Last edited by biggles; 06-03-2010 at 11:19 AM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to biggles For This Useful Post:
rosco (06-03-2010)
Old 06-03-2010, 12:50 PM   #10

AC problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
that ice at the suction service valve started back on the air handler and works its way out to the compressor completely covering it...that helicopter noise is the liquid within the compressor and the valves trying to compress it...evap looks clean plenty of air prior to ice build.KEPP AN EYE on that insulated line going out of the furnace...first sign of ice shut the cooling and leave the fan only on.when the tech checks for leak and probably won't find one....starts to add gas with ice on the lines you will see it drop off as the suction pressure rises.until you have service don't let the ice walk out of that furnace and head outside....could blow the compressor windings and or valves.$leak check tip for you...if you have a small leak outside or inside there should be oilly residue on the line or coil..oil droplets leak with the refrigerant with air over that you might see as if you where looking at your car engine wet dirt same thing on AC leaks..see any dirt soot build up at the condenser FINS 2-3" up from base ..leak check is all time billed to you if you pick up wet dirty oil that is money saved if you point the guy to an area
THis info would be a great *Sticky* post for Homeowners!

Thank you to all of you!

ps. Biggle's - i don't see any oily residue or oily dirt. I'll hope no ice develops when i turn it back on.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #11

AC problems

you will see ice starting at the insulated line out of the furnace till you get the sytem checked.NOTE the days temperature when you see ice there...your forming ice because with a lower cold pipe(homeowner term for you) pressure ...you do get a lower temp..sound great with the fan running RIGHT but the ice build up is killing the air flow less flow more ice and out it goes out to the compressor the temps on a fully charged system ..if you have a pocket thermometer...18F DROP on the furnace air,and 10F RISE on the condenser air...don't tell the service guy who comes i told you that..if you threw that out to him he would give you a look like "who you been talkin' too?"
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:08 AM   #12

AC problems

Ice is back after running unit for about four hours. just a thin coat though. i turned the AC unit off and will run the fan. what will occur during the "checking?" in P. Chem, i just never got the Karnot Cycle (sp?).

do yall think this is leak?

BTW, i sprayed the coils with window cleaner (they were aluminum coils and i saw copper tubing so thought it would not corrode). i flushed out the unit with hot water (very warm).
Old 06-04-2010, 04:45 AM   #13
An old Tradesmen

AC problems

Your system may be low on charge as a result of a refrigerant leak.

Don't use window cleaner on evap coils. If it has ammonia in it. The ammonia can harm the copper.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:53 AM   #14

AC problems

we were having drywall work done. the dust from the cutting of the drywall clogged up the filter. it has been about a week and after only a filter change everything is working fine.

thanks for all the great help and info!