Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #1

Share |

AC problem

Hope someone can shed some light on this; 4 year old American Standard AC Model 4A7A6036B1000A
Here is the problem:
Thermostat calls for cooling
At the condenser- fan and compressor start
Not a minute later compressor shuts down followed by fan shutting off
Then the compressor starts followed by fan starting
Not a minute later compressor shut off followed by fan shutting off
This just keeps repeating
Spent a small fortune for this system
Any repairmen around Boston, Mass just south of?
THANKS

wmmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

AC problem

could be several problems. your house thermostat may be failing/short cycling or the unit may be very low on freon and cutting in/out on a low pressure control. that is bad for the system. may want to get a Pro to check it and checking freon should be done as part of normal maintenance anyway along with cleaning the outdoor coil etc.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:00 AM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

AC problem

sounds like a low pressure switch cutting the condenser on and off.

means low on refrigerant.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #4
Experienced HVAC Tech

AC problem

it could be the contactor getting weak or the contacts are pitted and/or corroded. or possibly the transformer inside.
HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:43 AM   #5

AC problem

The system was in fact low on refrig. gas. Paid $225.00 for pressure test as follows-Isolated each of 4 components -- condens, air handler, each line. Tech said to wait a month then he will check pressures-- tech also found one bad schrader valve. From internet searchers about my AC system have found many complaints about coil leaks inside air handler. Tech said that these coils are copper tubing then joined to many aluminum fittings-- that's the problem-the dissimilar metals and/or the way they are joined.
As to the suggestion of scrapping the system and replace. I know folks who have 20 year old central AC's that run fine. I really think I should be getting more than four years out of a system. The system has an extended 10 year parts and labor warranty thru Trane.
I have question about the pad that the condenser sits on- I am located in an are where the ground freezes. It looks like the installers just dumped crushed stone on the ground then set a fiberglass pad-no excavation of the earth. During the winter the condenser seems to tilt back towards the lines. The installation was done in late December. Is this the correct way to "foot" the condenser? THANKS
Old 05-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
Experienced HVAC Tech

AC problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmmurphy
... From internet searchers about my AC system have found many complaints about coil leaks inside air handler. Tech said that these coils are copper tubing then joined to many aluminum fittings-- that's the problem-the dissimilar metals and/or the way they are joined...

...The system has an extended 10 year parts and labor warranty thru Trane.
That's odd because Trane loves to brag about their "All aluminum evap coils"
Back when I was a Trane dealer (up to 2005) Trane insisted on me explaining to every customer about the advantages of their all aluminum coils.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #7

AC problem

That's interesting-tech showed me the coil in the condenser and there appears to be many aluminum to copper connections- the tubing mainly copper and the fittings aluminum as well as the fins. Have not seen evap. coil. Are you saying that the coil itself is all aluminum the simply joined to copper tubing that then connects to the lines? THANKS
Old 05-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #8

AC problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmmurphy View Post
That's interesting-tech showed me the coil in the condenser and there appears to be many aluminum to copper connections- the tubing mainly copper and the fittings aluminum as well as the fins. Have not seen evap. coil. Are you saying that the coil itself is all aluminum the simply joined to copper tubing that then connects to the lines? THANKS
The manifolds in the outdoor units and the line set connections in the indoor coil are copper joined to the aluminum to allow line set connection and other components like driers to be attatched.
Ebierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
Experienced HVAC Tech

AC problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmmurphy
That is correct. The evap is what I was refuting to as all aluminum. And ya it is then stubbed out of casing as copper to allow for connections to line set.
The Following User Says Thank You to HVAC1000 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

AC problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC1000 View Post
That is correct. The evap is what I was refuting to as all aluminum. And ya it is then stubbed out of casing as copper to allow for connections to line set.
Yep, a tried and proven design. Holds up well. Leaks in them are uncommon, but not unheard of.
ben's plumbing (05-28-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #11

AC problem

What is the purpose of the above mentioned "drier" and should there be one on my system? Thanks
Old 05-29-2013, 06:51 AM   #12

AC problem

What is the purpose of the above mentioned "drier" and should there be one on my system? THANKS
Old 05-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #13

AC problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmmurphy View Post
What is the purpose of the above mentioned "drier" and should there be one on my system? THANKS
Trane units have a factory installed drier in the outdoor unit. It removes any trace moisture and acid that may contaminate the system.
Ebierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:02 AM   #14

AC problem

HVAC tech did "cut and pressure test" let sit for a month then tested and all four were ok no pressure loss. The unit was serviced last year for coolant leak then recharged . This spring coolant was low. tech did find bad shradder valve and replaced, but the valve was capped.
Under American Standard 10 year parts and labor extended warranty is the cut and pressure test a covered item - bad part was the shradder valve.