AC Is Not Working - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

AC is not working

Our AC quit the other day when I turned it off for the night and turned it back on for the day. The outdoor part of the unit is blowing out cold air and their is a giant frost ball forming one of the hoses. There is no air flow happening inside even with the fan supposively on. It is as if the unit is producing cold air but blowing it outside. Our landlord claims we are using it too much, but the lowest we keep it at is 69/70. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

Advertisement

bugaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:43 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,730

AC is not working

Check your air filter. A dirty air filter can cause this.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
bugaboo (09-12-2011)
Old 09-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #3

AC is not working

There is quit a bit of build up on the unit. I am gunna clean it up and see if that works. Our landlord also the AC is not meant to run all the time. I have never heard of this. Is that true?
Old 09-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

AC is not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugaboo View Post
There is quit a bit of build up on the unit. I am gunna clean it up and see if that works. Our landlord also the AC is not meant to run all the time. I have never heard of this. Is that true?
Your landlord is either misunderstanding, or is an idiot. Sorry to say that about them, but there are quite a few not all there. Check the inside air handler to see how filthy it is on the condenser. It will either be on top of the unit inside, or below. You will see the same piping that is outside, entering the air handler duct work, that will be the condenser/A-Coil.

Last edited by gregzoll; 09-12-2011 at 02:38 PM.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

AC is not working

[quote=bugaboo;726320]Our AC quit the other day when I turned it off for the night and turned it back on for the day. The outdoor part of the unit is blowing out cold air and their is a giant frost ball forming one of the hoses. There is no air flow happening inside even with the fan supposively on. It is as if the unit is producing cold air but blowing it outside. Our landlord claims we are using it too much, but the lowest we keep it at is 69/70. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?[/quote\
.................................................. ..........................................
Isn't that a pretty low tempreture to keep the house at???
Mine is run 75 or 76 degrees.
Do you pay for your own electric power use.???
jankencanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

AC is not working

[quote=jankencanada;726603]
Quote:
Our AC quit the other day when I turned it off for the night and turned it back on for the day. The outdoor part of the unit is blowing out cold air and their is a giant frost ball forming one of the hoses. There is no air flow happening inside even with the fan supposively on. It is as if the unit is producing cold air but blowing it outside. Our landlord claims we are using it too much, but the lowest we keep it at is 69/70. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?[/quote\
.................................................. ..........................................
Isn't that a pretty low tempreture to keep the house at???
Mine is run 75 or 76 degrees.
Do you pay for your own electric power use.???
Right now, mine is at 70. Over the weekend, I bumped it down to 69, due to running a fever from being sick. I am one that will adjust according to outside temps, so the house does not end up feeling stuffy, if the system does not run, when the house is at that right temp. It really does not use any more than if you were running it a little higher when the outside temps and humidity warrants it. I am just one to personally likes to feel comfortable, plus with our Plasma making the living room pretty warm, it helps to keep it cool.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #7

AC is not working

It's a two story townhome and the upstairs is hard to keep cool. I don't know if it is from the vaulted ceilings but it just gets stuffy quick.

Thanks everyone! I have convinved him to have someone come look at it. I didn't want to monkey with it so I didn't get blaimed for anything, but the comments helped me make a good argument!
Old 09-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

AC is not working

Poor circulation, and poor insulation, would be a factor why the upstairs is harder to keep cool during the cooling season, and warm during the Winter months. Were are the air returns in the upstairs space? Are there ceiling fans in the rooms to move the air? Are doors always kept close upstairs all the time, so air can not move?
Old 09-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,730

AC is not working

Quote:
A/Cs are designed to be able to run 24/7. During the hotter/hottest periods of the summer, a properly sized one won't shut off.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,048

AC is not working

The temperature of the cooling coil and the temperature of the cooled air exiting the air conditioner depends on the "cooling power" of the AC unit and the temperature of the incoming air and the amount of air (cubic feet per minute).

For proper dehumidification the air should exit the AC unit in the 45 degree range.

Too low an air flow for the cooling power or too cool entering air and the air exit temperature drops below 32 degrees and the coil freezes up. Excessive dust clogging the coil leads to this.

Too great an air flow for the cooling power and the air termperature and then the air exit temperature gets up into the 55-65 degree range, less moisture is condensed, and the overall humidity and sultriness of the room goes up. (If the AC unit runs long enough recirculating the air the temperature and humidity might be brought down to more comfortable levels.)

Except when the incoming air is very dry, the relative humidity of the air as it leaves the AC unit is 100%. Once the exiting air is mixed with the rest of the air in the room and the temperature averages out, the relative humidity ends up being hopefully much lower.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-12-2011 at 08:47 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote