Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #1

Share |

AC not getting cold

We had some siding replaced on the side of the house where the AC unit is and they may have disconnected and reconnected some of the wires when they took the emergency switch box off the outside wall.

Ever since, the AC does not seem to blow cold air. The fan in the outside unit is definitely blowing, and we get the usual amount of air flow from the vents inside, but the air is not being chilled.

I reset the main circuit breakers even though none were tripped.

Are there any other circuits that might trigger the compressor to stay off, but allow the fan to blow?

I checked the air filter and that is fine.

Anything else an amateur could check?

MrBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #2

AC not getting cold

We need pictures of the compressor wires going to contactor and capacitor.

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

AC not getting cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBud View Post
We had some siding replaced on the side of the house where the AC unit is and they may have disconnected and reconnected some of the wires when they took the emergency switch box off the outside wall.

Ever since, the AC does not seem to blow cold air. The fan in the outside unit is definitely blowing, and we get the usual amount of air flow from the vents inside, but the air is not being chilled.

I reset the main circuit breakers even though none were tripped.

Are there any other circuits that might trigger the compressor to stay off, but allow the fan to blow?

I checked the air filter and that is fine.

Anything else an amateur could check?
Line and load of a disconnect. They could have one leg hot to line and one leg switched to load.

Both hots (240 volts at 120 each leg) from the electrical service panel need to be on 'line' as that is the electrical feed. The condenser is the electrical load, the work being performed through the line. It should be marked on the inside of the disconnect which two are line and which two are load. It does not matter which line goes onto which of the two terminals marked 'line'. The same goes for the two load wires from the condenser, as long as they are on 'load'. The only thing you have to do is figure out which two wires coming from the electrical service panel are the feed that connect to 'line'.

You can trace back the two wires from the condenser (they may be in an electrical whip) to the disconnect and by process of elimination those are not the electrical feed, the other two will be.

Start there.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 09-09-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

AC not getting cold

Was the entire electrical service panel for the home removed or just the a/c electrical disconnect? A home remodeling company should not be touching either in all honesty, a licensed electrican should be even if the remodeling company has to pay for it.

I think now you might have an inclining as to why..
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #5

AC not getting cold

They removed the ac disconnect panel from the outside wall so they could replace the siding underneath. Too dark to get any pics tonight.

I did check that the disconnect t-handle was installed in the proper direction.
MrBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #6

AC not getting cold

If you put two load wires on each other the breaker will trip. There is power going to the condenser.
What I would suspect is that one of the connections is not fully tightened. This could cause a high starting amperage and cause the overload in the compressor to trip, leaving the fan running.
You would need to turn the breakers off in the panel, and pull the cover off of the disconnect and make sure all the screws are tight. If the connections are good, then the problem is in the condenser.
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Master of Cold For This Useful Post:
Doc Holliday (09-09-2011)
Old 09-10-2011, 04:50 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

AC not getting cold

If the fan in the outdoor unit is running, then its not a problem with the disconnect. Could be that the line set developed a leak from being disturbed.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:18 AM   #8

AC not getting cold

Just a coincedense? they'd have to really been manhandling the unit to cause a leak.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #9

AC not getting cold

Siding work is infamous for a nail hitting linesets

Dr.HVAC is offline   Reply With Quote