AC Not Cooling Sufficiently In 600 Sqft Apartment - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
rmb

Rewards Points: 10

AC not cooling sufficiently in 600 sqft apartment

Hey!

So I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff but I need a little advice (or a stern talking to).

I moved into a 1 bedroom (600sqft) apartment in Austin at the beginning of July.

When I moved in one of the first things I did was replace the old mercury thermostat with a programmable digital one.

During the first week of July, my apartment wasn't cooling right. It was so hot and humid. I called my maintenance guy who said that my system had no freon, so he replaced it and instantly, my apartment was cool!

Fast forward to the last week of July. My apartment is warm again (not as warm as before but still warm).

Yesterday, the thermostat read 77 (after having been on for 4 continuous hours, starting at a temperature of 80/81) and the air coming out of the vent closest to the compressor read 65. I set the temperature to 70 to see if it would ever hit it and it only hit 72 after dark and the temperature outside was 76 or so.

My landlord told me that the difference between the inside temp (77) and the air vent temp (65) was normal and that he didn't want to have to pay for someone to come out and check the unit out. He also said that maybe the freon needed to be replaced -- even though freon was put in a month ago.

Also, his other maintenance guy said that there was water in the compressor (by the fan) and there was water leaking from one of the valves attached to the compressor. Also, insulation around the really cold pipe that goes to the house and the compressor was gone.

My question (finally) is: Does anyone have any idea what's actually wrong with my AC? Or if I'm just being super paranoid that something's wrong?

Please help!

Thanks!

Advertisement

rmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,496

Since they didn't fix the leak, your probably low on charge again.

Advertisement

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
rmb

But it's been about a month since they put the freon in -- does this mean that they're going to need to replace it every month?

Thanks again
Old 08-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 602

If they just added more freon and did not even try and find the leak and fix it then there's your first problum.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,496

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
But it's been about a month since they put the freon in -- does this mean that they're going to need to replace it every month?

Thanks again

Keep in mind that we can only make guesses from our side of the internet, based on the limited info you give us. But ya, it sounds like it may be a large leak, and unless its fixed, every 3 to 4 weeks it will need topped off.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,542

all you can do it make sure the filter is clean.... and bug your landlord it should cool the apartment... ..be nice and explain its not working right..if its leaking freon it will quit cooling all togeother then he will have to have it looked at....but be nice

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 08-06-2012 at 07:35 PM.
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

repalcing the freon in a system is like changing the air in your tires .they need to look for a leak oil soaked area on insualtion or the sharadders and caps are leaking.the suction line insulated swet like a cold glass of water dripping the condensation especailly outside into the condenser and on some of the compressor.the insuation missing on the line outside needs to be covered...do they pay for the freon and service calls or do you.....if your paying for the freon and servcie calls do not let them top off the freon unless they do a look/see/feel leak check one end to another...
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to biggles For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
rmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
repalcing the freon in a system is like changing the air in your tires .they need to look for a leak oil soaked area on insualtion or the sharadders and caps are leaking.the suction line insulated swet like a cold glass of water dripping the condensation especailly outside into the condenser and on some of the compressor.the insuation missing on the line outside needs to be covered...do they pay for the freon and service calls or do you.....if your paying for the freon and servcie calls do not let them top off the freon unless they do a look/see/feel leak check one end to another...
Technically my landlord pays for the service call; however, I'm paying the electric bill that will stay high because the unit isn't cooling.

I'm going to take pictures of the unit tonight/tomorrow and post them here.
The Following User Says Thank You to rmb For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
rmb

Pictures of the unit can be found here: http://photobucket.com/rmbAC

There are 6 photos.

Update: My landlord finally got in contact with an HVAC guy and he's coming tomorrow morning at 8...

Last edited by rmb; 08-07-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: updating/adding pictures... I hope it works
Old 08-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

if you want to post pix up here just put mouse over pix...direct>>>copy back in PB it wil be up in EDIT to paste here...come back on here type this [img] then go to edit >>>paste the pix will show on post then type [/img] then hit sumit reply.back to that unit as your charge starts to leak so does the rated tonage/BTUs and that bill as you see starts to take a hit....18F on the air handler ans 10F out on the condenser with a solid charge tech should take superheat/subcooling readings also.have hit write the operating temps/pressures/amps-compressor on the invoice and the result of the leak repair...he might do a leak check with the unit off and the eqaulized pressure in the system R-22 if that 130PSI tops.nitrogen leak check requires freon to be recovered then nitro put in up to 300PSI then look for a leak..he has standard places to first check for them might catch the oil residue..on a pipe...shradder valves and caps where guages go is a leak point...good luck let us know..

Advertisement

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote