AC Not Cooling To Correct Temperature - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2014, 12:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 97

AC not cooling to correct temperature

My thermostat is only 3-4 months old and seems to be working correctly, The air feels cools from the vents. It also turns on as it should and turns off as it should, just not at the set temp. I have it set at 76* F. it only cools to 80*F.

Now I don't know much about HVAC, but I did look in the little trap where I am supposed to poor either bleach or vinegar every once in a while. It is full of water to the top. Is this normal? I don't remember seeing this before, but I could be wrong.

There is also wires and a sensor to the cap on it. I am thinking it's some kind of temp sensor and that's causing the AC to shut down prematurely.

What should I check and is the trap being full of water normal?

Advertisement

sen2two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:50 PM   #2

Ohhh.... Just found a real problem.

I removed the filter to look behind it to find a puddle of water on the floor and a steady heavy drip of water falling from under the AC unit.

What does this mean?

Advertisement

Old 08-30-2014, 01:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

trap is blocked up...shut the unit off and run water in into the pan till it flows free thru the trap.need to blow into the drain opening(piece of hose with a wet towel at the end) on the pan inside the air handler...insulation is all wet and dripping out of the panels?wires on the cap might be a hi water limit...shut off for the outside condenser when the water rises in that pipe.keep the cap on when doing the clean out blow out
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:50 PM   #4

OK, please excuse my ignorance.

Where do I run water and air into? I am not sure what the "pan" is or the "drain opening". I do not know the names of the parts of my unit. Sorry for this. I realize how this makes me look. I promise I am not incompetent.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,308

Your drain pipe is clogged, most likely at the trap, and pressurized water from a faucet or compressed air are 2 methods to clear the clog. You need to get creative with sealing the opening for these methods to work because you are trying to force water or air down the pipe without any leaks or other openings blowing off. Both methods can be a bit stressful unless you are good at anticipating problems.

I have seen a little CO2 cartridge gun made just for this purpose but I don't know how well they work. Basically you are just trying to get the drain unclogged with whatever way you are comfortable with.

The sensor is for high water that will shut your unit off if this drain is clogged.
zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #6

So, where the high water sensor is, is where I should blow compressed air (or pressurized water)?

I am unsure which is the drain pipe and which is the trap. I have a general idea, but I want to be 100% sure before I go shooting water or air into some pipe.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #7

Without being there, I'm reluctant to guess how your system is piped. I'm pretty sure though, if you blew at the sensor location the air/water would just blow back into the drain pan and not clear your trap out. I have successfully used both air and water on my own system but I have no other openings. I cut my pipe between the drain pan and trap to clear my clogs which was pretty straight forward. Then I repaired the cut with a clear plastic hose so I could monitor the flow for future problems.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #8

I had to do mine 4 days ago and I used compressed air. Water the first time about 10 years ago. The repair hose was originally black but I got the clear hose idea from an HVAC pro on YouTube. Thanks talyn875

AC not cooling to correct temperature-p8300005.jpg
Old 08-30-2014, 04:34 PM   #9

so the pipe on the left looks like this was already done previously. I guess I should do it in that same spot? Thank you for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
AC not cooling to correct temperature-20140830_163231.jpg  
Old 08-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #10

also, if I use compressed air or water in this spot. Which ways should I put the pressure? And where should I look to see what comes out?
Old 08-30-2014, 05:52 PM   #11

Your trap (if you have one) will be off to the left somewhere as well as the drain point which I can't tell you where it is. Mine goes into the basement floor right after the trap just to the side of my unit.

If your drain is clogged water won't flow well to the left. If your drain pan exit is clogged, to the right obviously. If it's just the drain pan that is clogged you might not need to mess around with air or water and a small flexible wire would do the trick. I can't tell from your pic but maybe you can get a finger in the pan to see if the exit is clogged.

Last edited by zappa; 08-30-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:20 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

Wet dry vac.
dawg_30741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:28 PM   #13

I'm sorry, what exactly is the pan? I don't really see anything that resembles one.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:33 PM   #14

The two white pvc things are connected to a drain pan on the bottom of the unit. When you run the air conditioning the coils produce water and drains down into this pan.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 197

When this happened to my unit I would go outside where those PVC lines are supposed to be draining. I tape the end of the "wet vac" hose to the PVC drain and turn the "WET VAC" on in both directions blow and suck repeatedly in rapid secession. Then I pulled the vac hose off the vacuum (not the duct tapped end) and seen if there is any flow. When there was flow it was fixed, when there was no flow I hooked the vac hose back up and, let it run on suction and while running I went back where that PVC line came out of the AC unit and looked for my vent. It was easy for me to find cause it was just an open piece of PVC pipe with sucking air noise. I placed my finger and plugged the suction and it my vacuum outside to clear the clog as I could hear it draining. That's what I do every couple years, but if your not a professional don't try this at home.

Advertisement

CWO4GUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote