Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

AC Maintainance Question(s)

I have the following - 20+ year old Trane XE1000 A/C central air unit -hardly maintained other than filter changes and consender coil cleanings. This year I have decided I want to see if I can make this thing last another 3-5 years - I have since done the following.

Small freon evaporator leak fixed with Super Seal (I dont want to debate this on this thread)
Cleaned Evaporator coil -both sides
Cleaned Condensor coils
Oiled Blower Motor
Oiled Condensor Fan (2 ports) used Zoom turbine oil

The system is working and sounding great. After oiling the condenser fan- I looked into the electrical area of the unit and surprised I seen 3 capacitors - one for fan, one for compressor and another unknown - it had a bleed resistor on it (any ideas what it could be for?) . Other than small amount of rim rust - I did not see any bulging tops or bottoms on any of them.

As my goal is I want this to last 3-5 years more before I get a new one -if lucky -Does it make sense for me to just replace the capacitors now before they go bad? they are very old for sure, but I dont want replace them with inferior capacitors due to the poor chinese stuff out there. What brand should I use or at least stay away from.

The capacitors in general are inexepensive and I am confident I can replace them myself. Is there a downside to replacing them before they go bad? Does this fall into the "its not broke, dont fix it" category so leave it alone? I just want to avoid being away from the house and the fan capacitor blows out while compressor then overheats/or breaks down. Also -I heard that a weak/poor capacitor can mean more power draw to the fan and compressor - is that true?

Also - while in there- is there any good spray cleaner that should be used to clean up the contactor? or should I just dust it off and leave it alone.

(and yes all this goes without saying that all electical is off to both furnace and condenser anytime I am working on it. I will also drain the capacitors with insulated handle screwdriver if I plan on replacing them)

Since its so late in the cooling season already - I will most like be doing this next spring (I am in northeast area) - but would like to get a jump on getting the right parts and planning it out .

Last edited by ea0680; 08-23-2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: addition
ea0680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea0680 View Post
I have the following - 20+ year old Trane XE1000 A/C central air unit -hardly maintained other than filter changes and consender coil cleanings. This year I have decided I want to see if I can make this thing last another 3-5 years - I have since done the following.

Small freon evaporator leak fixed with Super Seal (I dont want to debate this on this thread)
Cleaned Evaporator coil -both sides
Cleaned Condensor coils
Oiled Blower Motor
Oiled Condensor Fan (2 ports) used Zoom turbine oil

The system is working and sounding great. After oiling the condenser fan- I looked into the electrical area of the unit and surprised I seen 3 capacitors - one for fan, one for compressor and another unknown - it had a bleed resistor on it (any ideas what it could be for?) . Other than small amount of rim rust - I did not see any bulging tops or bottoms on any of them.

As my goal is I want this to last 3-5 years more before I get a new one -if lucky -Does it make sense for me to just replace the capacitors now before they go bad? they are very old for sure, but I dont want replace them with inferior capacitors due to the poor chinese stuff out there. What brand should I use or at least stay away from.

The capacitors in general are inexepensive and I am confident I can replace them myself. Is there a downside to replacing them before they go bad? Does this fall into the "its not broke, dont fix it" category so leave it alone? I just want to avoid being away from the house and the fan capacitor blows out while compressor then overheats/or breaks down. Also -I heard that a weak/poor capacitor can mean more power draw to the fan and compressor - is that true?

Also - while in there- is there any good spray cleaner that should be used to clean up the contactor? or should I just dust it off and leave it alone.

(and yes all this goes without saying that all electical is off to both furnace and condenser anytime I am working on it. I will also drain the capacitors with insulated handle screwdriver if I plan on replacing them)

Since its so late in the cooling season already - I will most like be doing this next spring (I am in northeast area) - but would like to get a jump on getting the right parts and planning it out .
buy a new contactor... there cheap..... as far as the capacitors ....if it aint broke....... well you get it

carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #3

I think will just buy all the parts I might need next year , including the contactor. I think it just makes sense that since parts are so old, the new parts might help avoid problems and any downtime for a few years or so.

Now I hope someone can help with brands of capacitors that they have had good results with, and which brands are best to avoid.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #4

Just pull off the parts you want to replace (make a drawing and some notes) and bring them to the parts place during the off season....Grainger, Johnstone, whatever local place you may have. They will match what you bring in. You may want to give them a model number of the equipment also. Some places want that to start looking for parts.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #5

20 yrs of snow did you cover the top of the condenser?definitly change the contactor next spring is not arc'd up or black....change the CAPS when they crap out check local GRAINGER for DIY walkins..rounds on th squirrel are mint no dust..sounds like it is TRANE'g along
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #6

Never had cover on condenser. I know Grainger carries Dayton brand, but think its made in China. Is Dayton better brand than most? Are there good capacitor brands made in USA?
Old 08-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #7

I dunno....Seems to me Dayton, Ohio makes sense. But then again how much of your Trane is made in the USA?
Old 08-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #8

Packard has US made capacitors,more than double the cost of imports but still inexpensive. They also import some from China so make sure it says made in USA on the box. Amrad is also made in the US.

IMO you would be better off to buy a multimeter and test the components instead of just replacing them. It will last the average home owner a lifetime and comes in handy for all sorts of projects. My first one spends most of the time in the kitchen using the K type thermocouple probe to check food temps.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #9

I will look into these brands, I dont mind paying up for better chance of quality- expecially on such very inexpensive to parts to being with.

As far as a testing the capacitors, they are 20+ years old now and seem to be working well -so I am ok with just waiting till spring next year- but I want to eliminate potental problems up until 3-5 years when I want whole system upgrade, so for the 20-30 bucks it would take to replace the capacitors, I might as well just swap them out.-The new ones i figure - if I buy a good brand - should last that long. At least that is the conclusion I am coming to based on the old age of the unit.

Remember - my overall goal is to limit the chance of the fan capacitor going out when I am not home or at night and burning out the compressor - and forcing me to get a new system now. I would pay 30 bucks to avoid that potential.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #10

It's good that you are "maintenance minded" but keep in mind that a 20 year old unit is in the last phases of it's life. Although you may be able to get it working as it did when it left the factory it still won't be as efficient, quiet and "pretty" as the ones offered today. And as far as replacing parts just because you can; I'm not sure that is the most effective way to deal with an older unit. The money spent on unnecessary parts will contribute to the unit's replacement. Keep it clean and replace the parts when necessary.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #11

As I said, my goal at this point is to push off needing a new unit for a few years , expecially if it only costs 30 bucks to possibly avoid a compressor failure leading me to a 3.5K new system.

I guess I am looking at replacing the old parts as very cheap "insurance", not really as getting it working new as I understand they decline in efficency with age. Its cheap insurance only because I am doing it myself. It may not make sense to replace all these parts if a HVAC professional were to charge me or anyone to do it on a old unit - as the cost would be very high at that point.

I can imagine if I dont replace them, or forget about it, and next summer in middle of day/ night the a/c fails and wife is home alone on very hot day and wants it fixed in 1 hour, and she will call the hvac professionals out to replace the 10 dollar capacitor - then get charged 50-100 bucks for that part - while paying the 95 dollar first 1/2 half hour fee , 25 dollars each additional 15 min. I bet I would be charged 200+ bucks for that service call- when for 30 bucks I could have most likely avoided the problem to begin with and had 2 new capacitors instead of one very expensive one.

And to your point - I can make a real world case that a pro active $30 dollar parts replacement is actually "saving" at least $170.00 by not waiting till the parts fail first and possibly having to call in the pros. So in effect, once I put in the parts this spring, I will then put $170 "savings" in my new a/c system savings account Just the way I am seeing it.

Just to be clear, this is not a knock on hvac professionals and their costs - its all good - just trying to see if what I am thinking makes sense to others regarding how to cost effectively maintain a a/c unit in its twilight years.

Last edited by ea0680; 08-25-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #12

I completely understand. But do consider the monthly savings available with a modern, more efficient system.