Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2011, 02:03 AM   #1

Share |

Ac kfr-35gw/a

I'm currently overseas (lots of sand here), there is no 'certified' HVAC guy here. Used to be a guy who 'knew how' to charge the system but he left before I got here.

I say the above because I know the official answer is call a certified rep and the legality of hooking up gauges etc etc. - Certified is not an option here.

He did leave the refridgerant and the gauges. I've got some questions for someone if you are willing. Feel free to message me if you would rather.

Thanks for any help in advance!

cjdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:20 AM   #2

Ac kfr-35gw/a

We will be happy to help you. What is your question?

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:51 AM   #3

Ac kfr-35gw/a

Thanks for the quick response. I've done the youtube thing and think I know how to hook up but. Blue low, red high, Orange to the canister. Looking for +30 over ambient on red gauge..... right?

There are two lines coming out of the unit. There is one that is frozen.

The 'hookup' on the one that is frozen is too large for the gauge hose and also has a 'plug' in it (looks to be able to remove with hex wrench)

The other line does have a hookup that fits the gauges.

Should I be looking elsewhere for the second hookup and can I just put some coolant in to it until the inside air "feels cold"?

Using R12 btw..

Hope this is enough information from a non AC guy?
Old 08-19-2011, 03:10 AM   #4

Ac kfr-35gw/a

Is this a solar mini-slip system? Are you sure about R12? can you post some pictures?

Frozen line means dirty evap coil, low refrigerant or dirty filter

Do not add refrigerant before you check the items above. You can overcharge the system

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.

Last edited by JJboy; 08-19-2011 at 03:15 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:14 AM   #5

Ac kfr-35gw/a

Not sure about the system type. Pictures attached, hope they help.

Its R22... my mistake. Thanks for asking so I rechecked.

In the picture, the lower line was frozen as well as the 'coil' (the radiator looking piece) on the inside unit. Buddy got antsy and put a little coolant in it and the ice has now gone away. Still not very cool but definitely cooler.

Apologies for the impatience, I do appreciate your help!

http://www.imageno.com/9yuye4fterappic.html

http://www.imageno.com/fsfw94wscv3cpic.html
Old 08-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #6

Ac kfr-35gw/a

OK, It seems low refrigerant. First, before adding refrigerant, make sure the coils are clean and also the filter.

You need to check for any leaks on the connectors.

http://www.kingersons.com/installsplitac.html

Old 08-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #7

Ac kfr-35gw/a

those 2 brass allen keyed items are isolating valve not charging ports...check inside where they go in you should have shradder valves(similar to a car tire) on at least the cold on..suction...low side of system..BLUE hose hookup or BLUE guage and only place to add FREON."WARNING" do not try to add freon into the thin raw copper line side even if you find a shradder..only for reading HI SIDE the RED guage and hose hookup.so you find a shradder on the iced pipe closed guages middle hose YELLOW goes to freon can in upright position...open the valve on top of the can full CCW then on the guages the blue side CRACK the service valve with the blue hose jus hanging as you hear freon bleeding out connect it to that iced pipe sharadder..and tighten down....start the unit in cooling and add gascouple of 1/4 turns on that BLUE valve on the guages..this will allow the compressor to suck the freon in as the freon cycles thru the unit.....the can itself is way above the iced pipe pressure just with a days temp around it so the freon goes into the suction shradder...let it run and monitor that ice or grab the suction copper line and you'll fell it dropping in temp....going this slow you won't over charge it so no worry there....might OR might not all of a sudden it will get reaal cold shut the guage off(that stops the can flowing no need to shut the can)..fianlly the reason i have you hook the blue hose/guage bleeding freon you need to purge the air within the hoses from the tank thru the guages down into the shradder...if you don't the air goes in and mixes with the freon and basically take up area in that condenser....killing your cooling in those real hot days....like said check coils filter air return on the evap coil area good discharged air even with just fan running then head to the guages

Last edited by biggles; 08-19-2011 at 09:47 AM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #8

Ac kfr-35gw/a

Ok... will check it tomorrow. The info and help is much appreciated. Not too bad (hot) here but hot enough that you want cool when you do get a chance to be inside.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:16 AM   #9

Ac kfr-35gw/a

Thought I had responded to this but a great help! I appreciate the details and it worked out great.

I have a feeeling I may have to do this one more time before I get out of here. Chilly now but summer is not too far away.