Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #1

Share |

AC keeps going out.

My AC worked a day or two this year and then stopped blowing cold air. I called the repair guy and he did what seemed to be a thorough diagnostic and fixed the capacitor leads. That lasted another day or 2 and then I had the same problem. Repair guy comes back out and says that I blew the fuses. I asked if the 2 problems were in anyway related, and he said no, it was just a coincidence. 2 days later and you guessed it, the unit is blowing warm air again.

There is air coming out the vents, but the fan on the unit outside isnt spinning. Also there is a low buzzing zound coming from the unit. Im not sure how to test the fuses to see if they blew again. I'm not sure what kind of unit it is, It isn't marked. If I had to guess I'd say it was about 10 years old.

Full disclosure: About a month ago I moved my electrical panel out of the kitchen into the laundry. The power to the AC was not run through this panel, but I was mucking around under the house and might have inadvertently damaged something. Also, I closed off a return vent in the living room last year. There were 2 on the same wall run in to the same duct, so I closed off the one up near the ceiling just because it was an ugly s.o.b.

Any ideas what could be causing all my problems? I'm going to call the HVAC guys again Monday, but I've given him 2 chances already...

Dramey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

AC keeps going out.

Could be the condenser fan motor or compressor is having a problem. Could be a problem with the wiring in the crawl if you did something there. Too many things not known to give a good idea.

Use a meter to check the fuses.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #3

AC keeps going out.

Check the blades on the motor. They could be stucked to the motor and making that noise trying to spin. Is the noise coming from motor or compressor?
1. Get some w-40 and spray where the blades hook up to the motor. Always turn off breaker power before putting your hands in it.
2. Try a stronger capacitor if not maybe the motor is going out.
dallastxtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #4

AC keeps going out.

My brother in law (ex electrician) came over today to help me troubleshoot. The fuses had blown again, we replaced them and opened the unit up. It looks like the HVAC guy spliced in some new wires to the compressor. Instead of running them all the way down, which would have meant opening up more of the unit, he just spliced in. The wires were shorting at the compressor. I don't know if that was my original problem all along, or if the repair man caused the short tugging on the wires when he spliced them. We fixed all that, but now the fan on the unit won't kick on. It spins freely by hand. I'm guessing that the short caused the cap to go bad as well?

I'm probably going to call the repair guy again tomorrow, I'm just wondering if I should raise hell for the way he Jimmy rigged it.
Dramey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

AC keeps going out.

Could be the cap is bad. Say something to him, and maybe he'll discount the call tomorrow, or do it as a freebie.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote