Ac Fan & Air Handler Running No Cooling? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

ac fan & air handler running no cooling?

so ive had a company come out 4 separate times to service my hvac. at this point they have literally told me they don't know whats wrong and to buy a whole new unit.

They have replaced the capacitor, lines are full of freon, kickstart was added and issue is still happening. Float switch is dry. Nest thermostat with airwave turned off.

The air coming out is warm and veryyy humid. It usually stops cooling for a few hours and then i can hear either the compressor or condensor kick back on and it cools again. it happens when its really hot out (florida) and when we go in and out a lot.

any thoughts are appreciated?

Advertisement

wesbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:27 PM   #2

coil is clean as well.

Advertisement

Old 04-06-2016, 07:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 220

Re: ac fan & air handler running no cooling?

If they don't know what's wrong I don't think I would let them put in a new system. Couple of questions. when it stops cooling is the fan motor outside still running? Sounds like the compressor is overheating and then comes back on after it cools off. Bad run capacitor could cause it to overheat, fan motor stopping will cause the compressor to overheat as well. Try to catch it in the act of not cooling, then go from there. If the fan motor stops running it will actually pump heat into the house until the compressor goes on overload. If your handy with a meter measure the amps the fan motor is pulling
BayouRunner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BayouRunner For This Useful Post:
DOUG1111 (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 07:21 PM   #4

yes fan keeps running after it stops cooling
Old 04-06-2016, 07:30 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 220

Sounds like compressor going out on overload. That's my best guess. But what is causing it? My guess incorrect capacitor? Or If head pressure is high a blockage in the system or bad expansion valve. Stopped up dryer. Bad compressor? That's what I would be looking at
BayouRunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:21 PM   #6

when the issue happens i disconnected the fan and can hear the compressor slightly humming but not kicked on like it should be
Old 04-06-2016, 08:26 PM   #7

voltage on run capacitor is normal
Old 04-06-2016, 11:04 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbob View Post
so ive had a company come out 4 separate times to service my hvac. at this point they have literally told me they don't know whats wrong and to buy a whole new unit.

They have replaced the capacitor, lines are full of freon, kickstart was added and issue is still happening. Float switch is dry. Nest thermostat with airwave turned off.

The air coming out is warm and veryyy humid. It usually stops cooling for a few hours and then i can hear either the compressor or condensor kick back on and it cools again. it happens when its really hot out (florida) and when we go in and out a lot.

any thoughts are appreciated?
WOW - they don't know whats wrong?? I have not seen one that I could not fix! But sometimes I think that one is maybe the next one I work on. LOL - What is the AMP draw when compressor running?? Anyone OHM out the compressor??? Anyone use megameter on compressor?? Anyone check correct size capacitor?? Superheat & Subcooling??
DOUG1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouRunner View Post
Sounds like compressor going out on overload. That's my best guess. But what is causing it? My guess incorrect capacitor? Or If head pressure is high a blockage in the system or bad expansion valve. Stopped up dryer. Bad compressor? That's what I would be looking at
^^^ I agree^^^^--What type metering device=TXV? Piston?? Drier temp copper should be within 3- in & out temp--- When it's cooling-INSIDE HOUSE air temp into filter???_______ Air temp coming out supply vent?_______ - Checks & test needed. You could try putting the water sprinkler on the outside unit cooling it off & see if it runs longer. REPORT. You might be hearing the contactor hum when you think the compressor stops?? Anyone check voltage coming to & out of contactor?? If running on low volt will over heat compressor!!
Old 04-07-2016, 04:14 AM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 6,194

Was any refrigerant/gas added to the system near the end of last cooling season?

Is the condenser coil clean? Is the outdoor fan spinning in the correct direction.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:43 AM   #11

thr system was blead, and then vaccumed out all of thr air/moisture and then refilled. coil is clean, fan moving in correct difection
Old 04-10-2016, 09:51 PM   #12

What was the fix???????
Old 04-10-2016, 09:53 PM   #13

not sure yet, waiting to see if isssue returns. will repost when confirmed

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to wesbob For This Useful Post:
DOUG1111 (04-10-2016)