AC Drainage Pipe Issue: Please Help - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

AC Drainage Pipe Issue: please help

Hello all. I am new here and would really appreciate some advice. I am not very handy but I am trying my best. My AC unit has been kicking off. I had an AC guy out and he said he can find no problems. A little troubleshooting myself and I am positive it is the drainage pipe backing up and the safety switch kicking the AC off. There are two PVC pipes coming out of my house by the AC unit outside. There are no drips even when I pour water into the inside pipes by the unit in the house (sorry I dont know the correct names of each part of the HVAC system). So I used a Shop Vac to try to suck out the stuff that may be blocking the drainage. I get nothing out. I went to the inside unit and pipes and decided to use the shop vac to blow air through it. When I went to the two PVC pipes coming out of my house by the outside unit nothing was coming out still. But there was air and noise coming from just below the ground. I did a little digging and there is a small gray PVC pipe with two open ends. Each end was blowing air and a bit of water coming out. Is this my drainage pipe? Also it is not dripping very much at all only when I blow the air. Also, I am concerned when it rains, now that I dug it up some, water will get into these pipes and back up into my house? What is this gray underground pipe and how should I treat this? and advice is much appreciated!

Advertisement

rbenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #2

Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

is the air handler in the attic or the basement and in total you have 3 pipes exiting the house ? do you have a condensate pump if it is in the basement if so there might be a hi limit switch that shuts the AC off if the tank gets to high or float sticks is there a trap P shape pipe at the air handler?
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #4

The unit is in our laundry room and there is a switch that is shutting off the unit when the water level is too high. THis is what I believe is happening so it looks like there is blockage. So when I went to suck out these pvc pipes nothing at all came out. This third pipe which is gray was discovered when I blew air with a shop vac from the inside unit in an attempt to push the blockage out. But this gray pipe as seen in the picture was just about all covered in dirt. THe air blows from this pipe and I get a bit of water. Yet not a constant drip.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
If it's free...It's me

Rewards Points: 75

I have just had the same issue. Not sure what the gray pipe is. I used a hose that I have a special fitting that fits on the sprayer. Single sprayer, not one of those 7 function sprayers. It may also work if you put it on JET and place it directly at the pan outlet if you can get to it. Sometimes spraying into the pipe from the outside works and will dislodge a blockage and create a back-flow to pull out other junk. However you run the risk of blowing water into, and overflowing, the pan.
Johnny'sHotDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is there a trap in this pipe? They tend to get clogged. I would cut the pipe in an areaa where you can fish a drain snake or wire through it or perhaps blow compressed air. Then you can get a coupling and put the pipe back together. Can you fish a wire from inside the unit through the drain hole? Do you have some pictures of the setup?

Advertisement