AC Drain Clogged - Goes Into Concrete - No Drain Outlet At Outside Evap Unit = ???? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

AC Drain clogged - goes into concrete - no drain outlet at outside evap unit = ????

Hi everyone,

I have a backed up A/C condensate drain line. drain goes straight into the concrete floor, and there is no outside exit at the evaporator unit either, i checked the entire length of wall on all sides. maybe that is normal for drains that go into the concrete? but in that case where does the drain go to??

I put a 22ft of drain snake into the drain before it wouldn't go any farther and drain is still clogged. i dont think the drain is run into the sewage line because 1) there is no smell, and 2) 22ft of snake should have long ago ran into the main vent stack or drain line and cleared the clog, since the AC sits right next to a bathroom.

Not sure what to do next on this problem.

In the mean time i have a 5 gal bucket set up that ive been having to empty 3x a day now, since its summer in Miami here and we have insane humidity!!!!

Im about to try using compressed air, but thought i would try posting first.

Thanks guys

Phil
Miami, FL

Advertisement

ReEstate-Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 712

AC Drain clogged - goes into concrete - no drain outlet at outside evap unit = ????

Posting a picture sure would help.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,104

abandon the old drain and install a condensate pump and pump it into sewer
Old 08-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 77

See if you can lift the drain line out of the hole in the concrete and poke around in there with a long handle screw driver to stir up the stones. Often, this type of drain will clog because a matte builds up on the stones under the concrete floor and prevents water drainage from the evaporator coil. If you can't lift it out of the hole, use a piece of coat hanger or other stiff wire and run it along side of the drain line into the stone bed under the concrete to stir things up.
If none of that works, use a condensate pump to the sewer or sump hole.
kb3ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

might just of pulled in some roots from where it dumps into the ground,set up a pump-out above the floor are you on a slab or is this a basement?if your on a slab run a pvc line out thru the nearest wall connecting to the exsisting drain drop with a union so you can blow out both sides...don't want to drain water undr a house eleminate it or find out where it is drain to...if it is old galvininzed might of rotten closed or collapsed in the floor...
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote