AC Condensate Issue - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
AC condensate issue

I have a Luxaire AC unit in the attic and repeatedly have had the condensate pan fill up, which triggers the safety float and stops the unit from running. We've rarely even used AC this year because we've had a cool summer in the NE. I previously paid a repairman to fix this issue and evidently that didn't work. In addition, when I opened a panel on the unit to check on the filter, I found that there was no filter installed.

So, for you AC DIY experts, a few questions that I would appreciate your help with:
1. What do you suppose is causing the condendate overflow into the pan?
2. If something like a blockage in the unit is causing the overflow, how can I fix it?
3. Is there a reason why the filter would not have been replaced? Could this have contributed to the condensate issue?
4. Is fixing this issue beyond a DYI project so that a repairman should be brought in? Times being what they are, I'd like save a buck.
Thanks!!!

Advertisement

cleddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,018

AC condensate issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleddy View Post
I have a Luxaire AC unit in the attic and repeatedly have had the condensate pan fill up, which triggers the safety float and stops the unit from running. We've rarely even used AC this year because we've had a cool summer in the NE. I previously paid a repairman to fix this issue and evidently that didn't work. In addition, when I opened a panel on the unit to check on the filter, I found that there was no filter installed.

So, for you AC DIY experts, a few questions that I would appreciate your help with:
1. What do you suppose is causing the condendate overflow into the pan?
2. If something like a blockage in the unit is causing the overflow, how can I fix it?
3. Is there a reason why the filter would not have been replaced? Could this have contributed to the condensate issue?
4. Is fixing this issue beyond a DYI project so that a repairman should be brought in? Times being what they are, I'd like save a buck.
Thanks!!!
1. Minus the filter, that means plenty of dirt and dust can get to your coil and clog your drain.

2. You'll need to open the panel to access your coil/pan and see what the problem is.

3. See #1.

4. You can do it yourself. If you want to take it a step further and replumb the condensate drain, I recommend adding a clear PVC trap made by EZ trap that has ports that allow you to clean the drain outlet and to keep an eye on the condensate.

http://www.airtecproducts.com/Downlo...structions.pdf

Advertisement

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
condensate , hvac , luxaire