Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #1

Share |
Question

AC Coils clean but freezing up. Unit is producing cold air. Do I need a pro??

Hey guys!! I've got a problem with my central AC and need some advice.

One day last summer we discovered a couple gallons of water on the floor around the air handler. After some research, I cleaned the condensation tube and replaced the condensation pump. I didn't notice any leaking again for about a week, and then there was another large puddle around the unit. It was the end of the season so I put off the problem until now.

Today I turned the AC on for the first time this season and noticed frost forming on coils almost immediately. The coils appear very clean to me, so I’m thinking I might have a leak. The unit is only 15 years old and the air is still blowing hard and is cold. So, what do you guys think? Is there anything else I should try before calling a pro (WHICH I DREAD… not so much because it will cost me, but more so the fear of bringing a stranger into my house!!) Any idea what this service will cost?

Here's the PICs:

Thanks for the help!! - Rick

RickDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #2

In picture 4 that dark stripe running down the coil is a sign of a leak. Be prepared for a major pain in the wallet.

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #3

do you get ice on the insulated suction line with the covers on the air handler..right now your bypassing the evaporator coil with the fan sucking in the easiest air and not thru the filter.check those rounds on the fan squirrel cage are they clean and sharp no dirt dust build up
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #4

At "only" 15 years old I'd say you got your monies worth on that system...have you seen the price charged for R22 lately? A 4# system in my area would be roughly $350 just to fill. Then the evap (if you can find one) plus labor, you're talking $1200-$1500 I would bet easy. Might want to start thinking about a new system (I sound like a tech I know, but I'm not, I'm a homeowner).

It's always easier to replace the unit while it's working than under duress in 90* days.
wheelsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses.

Craziest thing happened, I had a Pro come by today and he couldn't find anything wrong!!! It was a family member of a close friend who has owned his HVAC buisness for 30+ years, so I know he knows his stuff. He monitored the system for about an hour and there was no freezing or observable problems.

I explained to him that I had replaced two relays in the air handler due to the blower running randomly, but I didn't think that could have anything to do with the freezing. He said he wasn't sure either, but wouldn't rule it out.

So, now I'm just running the AC normally and waiting to see what happens.

Hopefully, I lucked out.. - Rick

Last edited by RickDel; 05-16-2012 at 08:32 PM.
RickDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDel View Post
Thanks for the responses.

Craziest thing happened, I had a Pro come by today and he couldn't find anything wrong!!! It was a family member of a close friend who has owned his HVAC buisness for 30+ years, so I know he knows his stuff. He monitored the system for about an hour and there was no freezing or observable problems.

I explained to him that I had replaced two relays in the air handler due to the blower running randomly, but I didn't think that could have anything to do with the freezing. He said he wasn't sure either, but wouldn't rule it out.

So, now I'm just running the AC normally and waiting to see what happens.

Hopefully, I lucked out.. - Rick
thats good news rick...but as you are waiting start saving to replace it...only a matter of time...

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote