AC Coil Condensation Reroute- Suggestions, Please - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

AC coil condensation reroute- suggestions, please

This is my first post on here, not counting the intro I just posted, and I'd like to say first that I think it's great that there's a forum like this. I've used one for RV's, mechanical help on my car, injury problems from work and running, etc, etc, and I'm glad I found this one.

I've got an AC condensation drain problem that I need (want) to fix before we fire up the AC this summer. The installer did a great job with the hvac and ductwork on this hundred year old house (it never had central anything), and the system is hung from the floor joists in the old basement. It's condesation tube is coming from the side of the plenum just coming out of the heat\ac unit (horizontal install), but the plenum is now a little lower than the drain opening, and over the years has started dripping steadily from the bottom 'pan' of that plenum from what looks like a corroded or busted off head of a hex head sheet metal screw that holds the plenum bottom to the side. (I will go take a picture of it in a minute, but my wife said I have to clean the refer and the freezer, vacuum the house and wash the dishes first.)
The question is two fold. I know how to make the hole in the bottom, lower part of the pan, but what is the proper connection for a water tight fitting to connect to a 3/4" id pvc drain pipe through the sheet metal. It has to be low enough to let the water escape. This would make the original the over flow outlet.

Secondly, I was told that there is a pump that would allow me to pump the condensation up and across the joists and allow me to drain it outside, instead of into the sump pump in the floor. This house is built on what seems to be rock (this area is solid sandstone), and the basement is the old, damp type that were built back in the early 1900's, so it really doesn't need any extra humidity down there, anyway. (Our humidifier runs most of the time in the summer, or after a few days of rain, which trickles in and makes its way to the sump. Anyway, my two questions are, how to make the connection for a re-route of the drain tube, and then, --- what and how is the "condensation pump" that would remove it from the basement totally. Thanks for any and all ideas or comments about this task that I am about to intrepidly undertake.

Advertisement

showme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

you could use a bulkhead fitting...... goggle it and you will find pictures of it... the pump you are asking about is exactly that a condensate pump.... many different brands....... and welcome aboard

Advertisement

carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #3

Thanks, Carmon, I appreciate the quick reply. The bulkhead fitting would work, but I'm ging to have to find something to do without getting to the inside of the plenum, if possible. Is there a bh fitting made that I could manipulate through the drilled hole from the outside (bottom) of the sheet metal? I really hate to get into dismantling the plenum. I don't know if they caulk sealed the joints or not. Regardless, the thing has to be drained at the low point, or else there will be a good size pool sitting in the plenum all summer, dripping out into the tub under it. (Which I then dump into the sump. Yep, it's a PITA!) I also found the condensate pumps, and I'm about to decide that's the ticket, but I still need to drain that plenum correctly. Thanks for your help!
Old 04-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #4

why not just cut an access hole ....install the fitting ..then just patch hole you cut... it will make a good inspection hole...
Old 04-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #5

Never thought of that. But it would probably look pretty bad after I got done with it. I would have to find a way to do a trim\overlap, since I don't really have any matching metal, except for some left over 6" duct mat'l. (would that work?) I do have some actual duct tape (commercial reflective silver stuff). Also, I'm going to try to upload some pics of the beast and it's weep hole.
Attached Thumbnails
AC coil condensation reroute- suggestions, please-hvac-oblique.jpg   AC coil condensation reroute- suggestions, please-hvac-unit.jpg   AC coil condensation reroute- suggestions, please-img_0717.jpg   AC coil condensation reroute- suggestions, please-hvac-drain.jpg  

Last edited by showme; 04-28-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #6

hey, carmon, just wondering, where exactly would I enter to avoid hitting the A coil?
Old 04-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #7

i see your problem now... i would not cut near coil... cutting into supply plenum to see whats going on is what i was thinking.... maybe you could see if water coming over drain pan.. is main drain open.. a flat piece of metal best for patch.... you want all the water to drain but as i said pan is not supposed to leak
Old 04-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #8

Right. I've checked the drain through the clean out plug, and it's open, plus I know for sure that it's still draining through the original drain at the sump pump. It's just finding the lowest spot before it gets to the drain hole, and then rusting\leaking there. I've used self tapping sheet metal screws for years on sheet metal buildings, but unless they're stainless, they won't last if they're continually wet, galvanized or not.

I've thought about just running another hex head screw with a rubber washer (roofing type) in there, but I'd really like to know that the thing is draining ALL the condensation out, not just for my peace of mind, but for any future owners down the road.

I'd prefer to just install an outlet fitting on the bottom of the corner that's leaking, since that's where the accumulation is happening in order to stop the drip and corrosion inside. That said, a condensate pump at that point would allow me to take it on outside and help keep the dungeon a little less damp.

Advertisement