Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #1

Share |

ac

I have a carrier ac system its seven years old, my blower in the air handler won't work, does it have a capacitor if it does where is it? how can I tell its the capacitor or the blower thanks for ,the help

jame725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #2

ac

Is it humming and trying to start?
Tried turning off the breaker and turning it back on again?

plummen (09-05-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #3

ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jame725 View Post
I have a carrier ac system its seven years old, my blower in the air handler won't work, does it have a capacitor if it does where is it? how can I tell its the capacitor or the blower thanks for ,the help
First visually check for loose wires. Take a long wooden ruler or stick and carefully give the squirrel cage a push with it. If it starts to turn it is more than likely the run capacitor. If you have a multimeter that measures capacitance you can test the capacitor to see if it is within specs. Run capacitors are relatively cheap and easy to replace. That is the first item to suspect and I would start by replacing it.

If you need help on how to replace it post back for assistance. Be careful of high voltage and always turn the power off to the unit before touching any component.

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 09-04-2013 at 06:33 PM.
firedawgsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #4

ac

hey firedaw that's what I was trying to find the capacitor for the motor in the air handler couldn't seem to locate it, its a carrier if that helps thanks again
Old 09-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

ac

should have a capacitor, but it's very visible. two brown wires from the motor lead out to the cap.

does not mean motor is good if cap is bad.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
I'm Your Huckleberry

ac

Quote:
hey firedaw that's what I was trying to find the capacitor for the motor in the air handler couldn't seem to locate it, its a carrier if that helps thanks again
electric air handler? possible no capacitor. if motor is humming and not spinning, motor is fried.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:11 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

ac

Post model number of air handler.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #8

ac

my model #fv4bnf003 I may need a control board hk61ea005 or if its not that a good used /rebuilt fan motor know of any places that won't break the federal reserve
Old 09-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #9

ac

I believe you have an ECM blower motor. Here is a link which can give you a lot of information: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ai...e-motor.html#b

If you determine the thermistor is the problem it is available on amazon.com.

The thermistor is SG348

Here is an informational video:

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 09-05-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

ac

It has a VS ECm blower motor. probably is the motor module.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #11

ac

Yes, more than likely it is the module. Due to the high costs of replacing this part some people with the proper skills, knowledge and tools have successfully diagnosed and managed to repair the problem relatively cheaply by replacing the thermistor. HVAC techs out in the field would not ordinarily attempt this type of repair because of the time involved and primarily because of the liability.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
I'm Your Huckleberry

ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedawgsatx View Post
Yes, more than likely it is the module. Due to the high costs of replacing this part some people with the proper skills, knowledge and tools have successfully diagnosed and managed to repair the problem relatively cheaply by replacing the thermistor. HVAC techs out in the field would not ordinarily attempt this type of repair because of the time involved and primarily because of the liability.
It would void the warranty is the issue. If the motor were out of warranty than it'd void the profit and money in my pocket. If I fixed a module and then it happened again, the home owner would be left without air yet again.

Me likey the warranty, keeps the blame simply focused.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #13

ac

thanks to all for good info, I took out the motor checked the thermistor it seems ok not burnt or anything could it be the control board hk61ea005 it looks ok too the only other thing is the motor oh by the way forgive my ignorance what is the module
Old 09-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #14

ac

Quote:
thanks to all for good info, I took out the motor checked the thermistor it seems ok not burnt or anything could it be the control board hk61ea005 it looks ok too the only other thing is the motor oh by the way forgive my ignorance what is the module
Have you checked that you have voltage going to your control board? Did you check the 5A fuse on the board to see if it has blown?

The module is the part that houses the electronics where you were looking at the thermistor.

Can you post the exact model of your blower motor? You should have a way to run a diagnostic that will flash a code to give you a clue as to what is going on.

Here is a link to the guide:
http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc...im-fv4b-02.pdf

Go to the bottom of page 15 and you should have the info you need to troubleshoot.
Attached Images

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 09-06-2013 at 02:36 PM.