Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

95 furnace install in attic

Hi everyone. I am considering purchasing a new split system for my house. I live in the northern DFW TX area so we have hot summers and somewhat cold winters(not as cold as up north but we do receive a bit of ice). I would like to purchase the 95% furnace, but I'm worried about the installation of this furnace since it would be in the attic and produces more condensation.

I want to make sure that whatever contractor I choose to install my furnace does it correctly. What are all the steps or precautions that need to be taken with installing a 95% vs an 80% Furnace to ensure that i don't have issues with condensation, improper ventilation, or pipe freezing.

Any and all advice that can be given will be much appreciated. I want to be as educated as possible to ensure that it gets done properly. I already read all the spec sheets for the condenser, coils, and furnace. Unfortunately, the installation manual is not posted on the manufacturer's website; otherwise, I would have already read that too.
kandykane19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

80% can go anywhere

90%+ installed in an attic can be done but this must be done..Insulation, Insulation, Insulation

I have only installed one 92% in an attic. Insulated the furnace, Boxed in and insulated the condensation drain for the furnace and terminate the drain into the house NOT TO THE OUTSIDE.

While others will argue this, it can be done

I fab'd a platform and boxed in the base, insulated all drains and even ran a 3" supply register into the boxed space.

It has worked so far for two years.

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #3

Your concerns are warranted. It can be done, but, personally, I would install a duel fuel with a 80% as opposed to 95%. You mention that you already have the manuals. Did you make the purchase already? or do you just want to be ahead of the curve?
Flashheatingand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
95 afue furnace install