Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2007, 08:47 AM   #1

Share |

'93 Comfortmaker RPJ propane furnace lifespan?

I'm wondering how long I could reasonably expect to get life out of my '93 Comfortmaker RPJ propane-fitted gas furnace. I was just advised by my repair guy to replace it with a Lennox 95% two stage unit. Six years into using the Comfortmaker, I had to have the control board replaced and then had no further problems until a couple of days ago when the unit shut down before achieving the thermostat temperature setting. The repair guy found that the condensation evacuation pipe was full of water, which he emptied. Then he looked at the condensate sensor, which was cruddy with green patina; he wire brushed it and reseated it. He looked at the ignition sensor and cleaned that, which was a little burnt on the tip. Still, we couldn't get the unit to stay on for very long and couldn't get it to turn on again without having to turn off the unit and turn it back on. Even that didn't work after the repair guy left. I left the unit on anyway and about an hour later, it came on and has been working well ever since, now about 16 hours. Is it possible that the backed up pipe caused a problem that required a drying out period and that now I'm OK? The control board isn't blinking and the repair guy concludes that it is the culprit and recommends not replacing it in favor of getting the new Lennox unit. Any advice?
Dawsonhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
scotch on the rocks

first if possible, find yourself another service tech.
you should get between 15 to 20 service years out your furnace.
hvactech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #3

Unhappy

I'm having the same problem with my '95 Comfortmaker furnace. We just bought the house this summer. We came home from a weekend away in October and the thermostat was reading 95 degrees, while the thermostat was off. We replaced the thermostat and had an HVAC company to come out and do a full check and found nothing wrong. A week later it got really cold, so we turned the heat on and set the new thermostat to 68. We woke up in the morning, it was still set to 68, but obviously hadn't come on all night as it was 50 degrees! We've continued to have the same problem for the last 4 weeks. If we reset the thermostat, or turn the unit itself off and back on it will turn back on, but it won't stay on long enough to heat the house up more than one degree. Unfortunately during the day when it's warmer it will sometimes work. We've had the same HVAC company out 3 more times and they can't find anything wrong. They think replacing the motherboard might help, but they're really not sure since the tests of it are good. They think it might be the thermostat, but this is the 3rd thermostat this house has had in the last 6 months. We have a baby who has been sick for the last 3 weeks because we can't keep it warm enough at night for him. Does anyone have any ideas??
wahlters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:14 PM   #4

yea; call another company talk to friends and neighbors see if they have someone they recomend
these things arent rocket science if it works everytime someone shows up than sometimes thats hard to diagnose but if theres a problem exsisting when they arrive should be able to fix that, and after its repaired ask if they can stick around till it goes thru a cycle on its own (make em lunch)
kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:45 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawsonhope View Post
I left the unit on anyway and about an hour later, it came on and has been working well ever since, now about 16 hours. Is it possible that the backed up pipe caused a problem that required a drying out period and that now I'm OK? The control board isn't blinking and the repair guy concludes that it is the culprit and recommends not replacing it in favor of getting the new Lennox unit. Any advice?
More like it went into a soft lock out.
And when it tried again, it was able to stay on.
If he emptied the trap, and didn't fill it back up. That may have been your main problem.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:47 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Wah.

Call a company that knows how to chekc a unit.

Could be a restricted pressure switch line.
Clogging drain line.
Or several other things.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote