DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

8 wire to 4 wire thermostat help needed

12K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  coolmen 
#1 ·
I apologize if this is a newb question but i searched and couldn't find the answer. I'm replacing a Honeywell manual thermostat with a Noma programmable. The Noma came with instructions for 2, 3, and 4 wire installation but the Honeywell i'm replacing has 8 wires, hence the confusion.

The Honeywell has the following connections:
  • 50/60Hz - 24V
  • com - 24V
  • heat
  • cool
  • com - fan
  • I - fan
  • II - fan
  • III - fan
The Noma has the following connections:
  • W
  • Y
  • R
  • G
and a jumper for HE or HG.

Anybody know what i should do?

#3 ·
Well from what i can decipher i have the heater relay and A/C relay spelled out for me but it's the fan relay i don't know what to do with. The instructions have 1 terminal for the fan but the original thermostat had wiring for a three speed fan so i'm not sure which one of the three i need to connect. It also appears there was a seperate common ground for the fan and another for the heater and cooling relays. Can i just bridge the both grounds? Or do i only use one of the two?

#4 ·
as I previously stated.

there is a wiring diagram that came with your thermostat.
there is also a wiring diagram on the door to the furnace.

Read the diagram on the door to the furnace. see why it might be reccomended for an eight wire set up, or if it has a second diagram for a 4 wire set up.

Typical 4 wire install:

furnace terminal R to t-stat terminal R
furnace terminal G to t-stat terminal G
furnace terminal Y to t-stat terminal Y
furnace terminal W to t-stat terminal W

the other 4 wires are for fan on settings. This might be something that the manufacturer of the furnace reccomends.
IF YOU ARE HAVING A HARD TIME WITH THE WIRING DIAGRAMS, CALL A SERVICE TECH
improper installation can cause all kinds of problems.

#5 ·
There is no wiring diagram on the furnace, only a warning sticker that says "check the wiring diagram on the furnace". The only thing i have is the existing thermostat which i have listed connections for, and the new thermostat.

New diagram has:
cooling relay - Y
heating relay - W
fan relay - G
ground - R

I have two ground leads, and 3 fan leads. Do i bridge the grounds or just use one? if i use one, does it matter which one? Does it matter which fan lead i use?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.