Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 151
Rewards Points: 81
Default

50 amp panel and wants a/c installed


Got a customer who wants a/c installed in her mobile home. She'll probably need 3 tons of cooling. Anyone ever tried it with only a 50 amp panel? Dryer and stove uses gas.
Apparently upgrading the panel is not feasible.
I'm 99% sure of the answer which is a definite no but always like to cover my bases.

Thanks for any help.

kirwinjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
" Euro " electrician
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

50 amp panel and wants a/c installed


Quote:
Originally Posted by kirwinjd View Post
Got a customer who wants a/c installed in her mobile home. She'll probably need 3 tons of cooling. Anyone ever tried it with only a 50 amp panel? Dryer and stove uses gas.
Apparently upgrading the panel is not feasible.
I'm 99% sure of the answer which is a definite no but always like to cover my bases.

Thanks for any help.
Only two way you can do this .,

A) run the A/C feed from the meter pedestal which I know it is legit in some area.

B) tell the customer end up put in a 100 amp panel and run new MHF ( Mobile Home Feeder ) cable from meter pedetal to the new load centre. This useally done by liscensed electrician.

Merci,
Marc

__________________
The answer will be based on NEC ( National Electrical code ) or CEC ( Cananda Electrical code ) or ECF ( Electrique Code France )
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frenchelectrican For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (05-28-2013)
Old 05-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,876
Rewards Points: 2,204
Default

50 amp panel and wants a/c installed


3.) tell her to buy a 120 volt window unit.
__________________
Thanks.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
DIY Enthusiast
 
sublime2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,109
Rewards Points: 500
Default

50 amp panel and wants a/c installed


3 tons for a "mobile home" aka, a trailer.
How big is this mobile home?
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:41 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,876
Rewards Points: 2,204
Default

50 amp panel and wants a/c installed


Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
3 tons for a "mobile home" aka, a trailer.
How big is this mobile home?
Intertherm and Stylequest are both mobile home hvac manufacturers. Their systems all go to 5 ton. I've installed systems in mobile homes bigger than many regular homes.
__________________
Thanks.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

50 amp panel and wants a/c installed


Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Intertherm and Stylequest are both mobile home hvac manufacturers. Their systems all go to 5 ton. I've installed systems in mobile homes bigger than many regular homes.
Did ya ever see straight electrique heat HAVC unit the last one my customer called me some time back end up have to install seperated 100 et 200 amp services due the HVAC electrique heating elements.
__________________
The answer will be based on NEC ( National Electrical code ) or CEC ( Cananda Electrical code ) or ECF ( Electrique Code France )
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:48 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 151
Rewards Points: 81
Default

50 amp panel and wants a/c installed


Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican

Only two way you can do this .,

A) run the A/C feed from the meter pedestal which I know it is legit in some area.

B) tell the customer end up put in a 100 amp panel and run new MHF ( Mobile Home Feeder ) cable from meter pedetal to the new load centre. This useally done by liscensed electrician.

Merci,
Marc
Any idea what this might cost? Hundreds? Thousands?
Not sure what you mean by meter pedetal and new load center. Not being an electrician, I would assume we would need to upgrade the panel and pull bigger wire from the panel to a new transformer on the pole which means calling in the utility company.
kirwinjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 151
Rewards Points: 81
Default

50 amp panel and wants a/c installed


Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
3.) tell her to buy a 120 volt window unit.
Thanks. You might be right. I was going to recommend a 2 ton 220vac mini split
kirwinjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:53 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 151
Rewards Points: 81
Default

50 amp panel and wants a/c installed


Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2
3 tons for a "mobile home" aka, a trailer.
How big is this mobile home?
Mobile home is a double wide, about 60 feet long and has a Coleman furnace with a 3 ton blower which means I have to size the coil and condensing unit accordingly
kirwinjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:09 AM   #10
" Euro " electrician
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

50 amp panel and wants a/c installed


Quote:
Originally Posted by kirwinjd View Post
Any idea what this might cost? Hundreds? Thousands?
Not sure what you mean by meter pedetal and new load center. Not being an electrician, I would assume we would need to upgrade the panel and pull bigger wire from the panel to a new transformer on the pole which means calling in the utility company.
The load centre mean breaker box or old fuse box if still have it.

The meter pedestal mean a outdoor meter socket which it will be standing on it own main breaker to feed the mobile home.

For the transfomer itself most case POCO do not bother change the transformer until it burn out or hevey load keep blowing the fuse ( very rare ) due they can take a bit of overload before they blow the lid.

But the costwise that will varies alot depending on how the load centre is located plus the meter pedetal is.


Note: if you have POCO pole that will work as well due that is your main point as well.

Merci,
Marc
__________________
The answer will be based on NEC ( National Electrical code ) or CEC ( Cananda Electrical code ) or ECF ( Electrique Code France )
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frenchelectrican For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 05:20 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,794
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

50 amp panel and wants a/c installed


High SEER mini-split.
__________________
____________
Vince
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 26,084
Rewards Points: 3,828
Default

50 amp panel and wants a/c installed


Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
run the A/C feed from the meter pedestal which I know it is legit in some area.

Merci,
Marc
Commonly done here.
__________________
When posting in certain forums, knowing your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (05-28-2013), frenchelectrican (05-29-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 60
Rewards Points: 75
Default

50 amp panel and wants a/c installed


Quote:
Originally Posted by kirwinjd View Post
Mobile home is a double wide, about 60 feet long and has a Coleman furnace with a 3 ton blower which means I have to size the coil and condensing unit accordingly
Just because the furnace can handle up to three tons doesn't mean you have to use it all. Do the load calc install the right size then adjust the airflow to the size.
Ebierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Eighty Four, Pa.15330
Posts: 1,348
Rewards Points: 694
Default

50 amp panel and wants a/c installed


Double wide on a 50 amp panel? Take another look.
bobelectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 151
Rewards Points: 81
Default

50 amp panel and wants a/c installed


Quote:
Originally Posted by bobelectric
Double wide on a 50 amp panel? Take another look.
I did. The park manager confirmed it.
Thanks

kirwinjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.