Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2011, 08:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

5/8 Wirsbro big enough?

My installer used 5/8 Wirsbro on a new installation in my gutted and remodeled older home. His heat loss was about 160BTU after heavy insulation efforts. The system is a propane Triangle Tube boiler that heats water for big old radiators with a target temp of 150 degrees on a 0 degree outside temp day. We are not getting the heat quality or the efficiency we were promised and were forced to increase the temperature to 180 degrees to maintain comfort at 66 degrees and we are paying a real lot in fuel costs. Since the installer has become 'unresponsive', I contacted another heating professional to look it over. He thought that the pipe size was too small, causing to long a delay between when the water is heated and when it can radiate into the room (the space is 4000 sq feet but we are only heating about 2000 sq ft actively). Does this theory seem valid to anyone else, and is so, other than ripping out the and repiping the whole system, any remedies?

pithwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:04 AM   #2
Old Timer

5/8 Wirsbro big enough?

are these the old Large Cast Iron radiators? How many? Did the installer install a shock loop? What size is the heater? BTU output.. The Pex does sound a tad small to me.. I dont use plastic pipe so I dont know the ID of the pex..... but use copper, The smallest copper I would use would be 3/4".If the load is bigger I would use 1"... If you have CI Radiators and have more then 1 how are they piped? in series? or parallel? You really need a good contracror to measure your raditors and check the piping....Most will do a est. for repairs at NC.... Good luck and please post what you find
Rich

Radco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #3

5/8 Wirsbro big enough?

Yes, 21 large old cast iron radiators and about 10 that are cast iron but smallish. Each room (16) is a home run because it is a large house and we are keeping some sections down low or not heated at all. All thermostats are also programmable so they drop for night by about 3-5 degrees and some rooms are off completely on weekdays, etc. I think the ID is 5/8 and the OD is about 3/4. I do not know what a schock loop is or how to know if there is one...
pithwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Old Timer

5/8 Wirsbro big enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pithwit View Post
Yes, 21 large old cast iron radiators and about 10 that are cast iron but smallish. Each room (16) is a home run because it is a large house and we are keeping some sections down low or not heated at all. All thermostats are also programmable so they drop for night by about 3-5 degrees and some rooms are off completely on weekdays, etc. I think the ID is 5/8 and the OD is about 3/4. I do not know what a schock loop is or how to know if there is one...
A shock loop take hot feed water and mix's it with the return water through a mixing valve(a water thermostat) so the return water is warmed to prevent condensation in the boiler...
21 Large CI radiators hold a TON of water.. Im assuming you have the old fashion ones ,IMO the best ones out there. BUT you need the BTU's to heat them.IE alot of water.. and they should not be piped in series,because the first Rad will get the most heat the last the least.. They should be piped with a series loop in the basement. direct feed out and in. with branch's off the loop.Mono flow so each radiator get even heat from the water. I call it a series loop with the radiators in parell to the series loop...each radiator is seperate from the other,1 radiator can have no heat and 10 can, in a series system if 1 radiator is down they all are..like the old Xmas tree lights.1 dead all dead Google heating systems and Im sure they can explain it way better. also get a GOOD tech to check out the system,that is the best way,, a older tech wiill know more about the old systems better then the new guys,, BUT there are alot of sharp young guys.gals out there... www.heatinghelp.com is one good place to ask alot of questions on as well..But you should be able to get pics of heating systems on line. Ill search for some.....
Radco is offline   Reply With Quote