My ignitor went out on my Goodman (about 10 years old). I decided to call someone instead of trying to do it myself - and they quoted $450!
I'm willing to support my local contractor community, have it waranteed, etc., but please
! For a $33 part and a few mins of work??
So I decided I'd order it and try it myself, but...
There was a little crack in the front of where the flame jets enter the heat exchanger, and he said that it was too dangerous to run and that I needed a new furnace! It looked to me that it was only on the facia and did not wrap around under the heat exchanger, but he said that there was no "way to tell" other than ripping the unit apart. My attitude is "I'm not dead yet" so I'll probably continue to not die from CO poisining (and my windows are always open a crack), but perhaps I should take it more seriously?
Can't they test for CO at one of my registers or something? -- looking online, I can get a passive CO detector for $3... Is he just overstating the danger to sell me a new furnace?