30+ Yr Old Wood Boiler - How To/should I Use? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

30+ yr old wood boiler - how to/should I use?

I just purchased this house 3 months ago. The house is wicked expensive to heat - old oil boiler with water/baseboard heat system.

There is an old wood boiler that is also hooked up to the heating pipes that I was told was inoperable when I purchased the house. However, a guy I had install a flue liner on the oil burner flue looked at it said it looked serviceable (water running through the unit, no leaks, manageable corrosion).

Question: If this thing is serviceable, I have no idea how to use it or what to look out for (besides burning down my house). I know there is a blower and a water pump associated with the boiler - not sure if they work at this time - assuming that they work. I think it was used as recently as 3-4 years ago.

The flue to the boiler is lined (stainless steel) and clean).
Attached Thumbnails
30+ yr old wood boiler - how to/should I use?-img_0679.jpg  

Advertisement

Paul_in_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 252

My first rule (you implied) would be to run aux wood unit ONLY when home and attended.

Probably valves that add wood unit to loop of system. Feel your pipes when oil burner is on and trace routes. Depends if wood unit has its own circulator pump. See how many you have. If can be operated with safety switch on oil burner off, you have 2 independent systems.

Advertisement

diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyorpay View Post
My first rule (you implied) would be to run aux wood unit ONLY when home and attended.

Probably valves that add wood unit to loop of system. Feel your pipes when oil burner is on and trace routes. Depends if wood unit has its own circulator pump. See how many you have. If can be operated with safety switch on oil burner off, you have 2 independent systems.
Thanks - there is hot water running through the wood burner from the oil burner, from what I can tell from pipe feeling - there is also a separate water pump for the wood burner that is turned off.
Paul_in_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 830

You should get it checked properly by a tech who does wood burners or boilers to make sure the safety controls work properly and that it is setup properly and burning cleanly. If not it can produce creosote/tar and gum up your chimney and later cause a lethal chimney fire. Also your house insurance agent needs to know you are burning wood and had it properly inspected. They are VERY picky about that and the premiums are usually higher. If you neglect that and have a fire your ins may be void. Mom had a woodstove and the premiums were higher but if you burn enough good wood properly it will save you lots of $$ and pay for itself. Ignorance of the law or rules is no excuse when dealing with ins companies.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,490

Peerless makes a 92% efficient Oil fired boiler. http://www.peerlessboilers.com/Produ...5/Default.aspx
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_in_VT View Post
I just purchased this house 3 months ago. The house is wicked expensive to heat - old oil boiler with water/baseboard heat system.

There is an old wood boiler that is also hooked up to the heating pipes that I was told was inoperable when I purchased the house. However, a guy I had install a flue liner on the oil burner flue looked at it said it looked serviceable (water running through the unit, no leaks, manageable corrosion).

Question: If this thing is serviceable, I have no idea how to use it or what to look out for (besides burning down my house). I know there is a blower and a water pump associated with the boiler - not sure if they work at this time - assuming that they work. I think it was used as recently as 3-4 years ago.

The flue to the boiler is lined (stainless steel) and clean).
Ayuh,... I heat with wood,... that ole boiler don't look to bad, at all....

I'd be abit concerned 'bout the leakage, 'round the DHW coil...
That's the front center squarish thingy, with it's valves turned off...

Myself, I'd isolate it from the oil boiler, 'n pull the DHW coil out, 'n clean it up to regasket it...
While it's apart, I'd inspect everything, 'n anything I could gain access too...
Then clean it up, seal it up, maybe throw some paint on it, 'n go to burnin' Wood...

'ell, oil is still nearly $4.00 a Gallon 'round here...

Can't see how it's all tied together, plumbed, controlled, or wired,...
But if it worked before, it oughta work Now...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,278

ttt....

Advertisement

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote