Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2012, 06:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

30 year old Goodman.

Hi, I have an old Goodman split A/C unit. About a month ago, the evaporator coil froze. I called a tech out and he said it needed charging...3 lbs. It ran great until yesterday when it froze again. I spent the afternoon in the attic cleaning the evaporator coil and the AH fan blades, they were pretty dirty. I used a cleaner I bought at Home Depot. I reassembled the duct work and sealed it with aluminum tape.
This morning, the suction pipe was frozen. I shut the AC down and switched the fan to "on", made some coffee and went up to the attic. The evaporator wasn't frozen and I don't think it had thawed in the 20 minutes it took me to wake up and go up there.
I returned the system to operation but noticed the AH fan runs continuously.
Not sure if its the relay...again. I believe I replaced it last year.
Could a continuously running fan cause the freezing? I wouldn't think so.
I know, the unit is probably at it's end of life, I've been tinkering with it for the last 5 years. I've replaced everything, except the compressor, in the outside unit over the past 5 years, blower motor, all the caps and relays.
Any ideas as to what could be causing the freezing would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
Willing to listen

Rewards Points: 75

30 year old Goodman.

If it lost charge, it had a leak. If it was recharged without repairing leak, it could have simply lost charge again. Low airflow from too slow fan speed and very dirty filters are also typical.

Done That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 252

30 year old Goodman.

Sounds like you still have a refrigerant leak in the system. When the guy added 3 lbs did he say he found a leak anywhere? Did he do any type of leak checking?
HVACDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #4

30 year old Goodman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done That View Post
If it lost charge, it had a leak. If it was recharged without repairing leak, it could have simply lost charge again. Low airflow from too slow fan speed and very dirty filters are also typical.
I sort of question the tech's honesty though, he wanted to charge me $250 for a 3uf cap for the blower motor but offered to sell it to me on the side for $100. I'm not even sure if he put 3lbs of refrigerant in, he could have been charging me for something he did for his own unit. I change the filters monthly. Like I said I spent most of the day yesterday cleaning the AH system and evaporator. It does seem like the fan is quieter than I remember. Thanks for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVACDave View Post
Sounds like you still have a refrigerant leak in the system. When the guy added 3 lbs did he say he found a leak anywhere? Did he do any type of leak checking?
He said there could be a leak but didn't check. That was the first time in 30 years that any refrigerant had been added. It just froze again a few minutes ago. I may have to bite the bullet and have a new system installed. Thanks for your response.

The relay for the fan is a 90340, should the bottom contacts read any resistance? I'm thinking they should read open with no power applied. I found a schematic, it seems to measure out correctly
1-2 short 1-3 open. 4-5 short, 4-6 open bottom 2 are the coil so there should be some resistance. I'm guessing my thermostat is probably the issue.

Last edited by Graybeard; 06-04-2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 06-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

30 year old Goodman.

Don't you even want to try to find the leak and fix it?. May be the leak can be fixed easily.
clocert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #6

30 year old Goodman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clocert View Post
Don't you even want to try to find the leak and fix it?. May be the leak can be fixed easily.
Sure, that would be the best case scenario, but with the age and what seems like it's growing unreliability, maybe a new system might be in order.
Is there a DIY way of leak detection?
Old 06-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

30 year old Goodman.

if the work invoice doesn't say he looked or found a leak there was no freon added the freeze up i could of been the squirrel dirt rounded off...and coil situation.30yrs and it was the original freon is a mint payback whatever brand it was.i would call the service manager and inquire why he charge you for 3 lbs of freon without doing a visual leak check,and soap bubbles on all the fittings...how long was he there?had the unit been running good since cooling season started....if a unit is slightly low on a charge a cool evening running could cause ice to start at the air handler working itself out into the condenser.next hot day grab that thin Liquid Line out of the condenser note the day temps it should be warm-clean condenser to hot-dirty/fouled one..did he instal guages on the system and record the pressures and amprobe the compressor....interested on what he wrote on the ticket
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #8

30 year old Goodman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
if the work invoice doesn't say he looked or found a leak there was no freon added the freeze up i could of been the squirrel dirt rounded off...and coil situation.30yrs and it was the original freon is a mint payback whatever brand it was.i would call the service manager and inquire why he charge you for 3 lbs of freon without doing a visual leak check,and soap bubbles on all the fittings...how long was he there?had the unit been running good since cooling season started....if a unit is slightly low on a charge a cool evening running could cause ice to start at the air handler working itself out into the condenser.next hot day grab that thin Liquid Line out of the condenser note the day temps it should be warm-clean condenser to hot-dirty/fouled one..did he instal guages on the system and record the pressures and amprobe the compressor....interested on what he wrote on the ticket
He did connect gauges. He was here about an hour. He did write that he had added the freon but no mention of a leak check. The unit had been running good up until the first freeze over. When you say condenser, would that be outside? Is it the can shaped object with the freon port on it?
Old 06-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #9

30 year old Goodman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
He did connect gauges. He was here about an hour. He did write that he had added the freon but no mention of a leak check. The unit had been running good up until the first freeze over. When you say condenser, would that be outside? Is it the can shaped object with the freon port on it, or is it also referred to as the evaporator?
Old 06-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000

30 year old Goodman.

Probably low on freon again.

On a side note your service guy is crook. If the owner didn't have guys stealing work and robbing parts off the truck he wouldn't have to charge $300 for a $5 capacitor.

Last edited by Marty S.; 06-04-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

30 year old Goodman.

yes,the condenser is the outside section and the 2 lines coming out insulated is the suction line (cold),and the thin copper line is that liquid line(warm to hot)any tech that has a pro routine.if he sees a low suction would check the air handler filter and coil along with the squirrel cag on the fan...especially with ice mentioned.if the unit was working well befoe the freeze up might of been your cleaning.DIY leak checking spray bottle with some diswasher liquid spray aroung the fittings going into the condenser....inside the condenser do a visual for oil residue soaked dirt..like on a car engine oil pan area...and ac lines.go along the insulated line all the way into the air handler grab it working along the lines.it will soak up oil leak so it will be wet with a slight odor...

Last edited by biggles; 06-04-2012 at 12:15 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote