2 Heat Pump Condensation Questions - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

2 Heat Pump Condensation Questions

I have a 1.5 year old Trane heat pump XL20i....this one:

http://www.trane.com/Residential/Pro...20i-Heat-Pumps

This unit (the exterior compressor unit) is sitting on our carport. It covers are carport with water all winter long basically.

During the summer the condensate pipe form the inside unit, leaks a ton, right by the slab, and makes a huge muddy mess, like all summer. (I live in texas)

What are the options i have to fix this?

Can the condensation drain from the air handler be connected to our septic tank?

Can i put the outside unit on/in some kind of drain pan that drains else were, or some how connects into the condensation drain from the inside unit and have them both drain in the septic, or away from the house?

The drain from the inside air handler is right by the outside compressor.

This is just a lot of water, and im worried about the foundation, tired of the mud, and tired of walking through water to go inside my house.

thanks

Advertisement

pretzels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,220

Anything is feasible but I would not connect anything to the septic tank as the air from the tank could travel back into the air handler and your entire home could end up smelling like poo.

Drain pan under the heat pump could work granted you'd have to have enough of a slope for the water to drain so another pad might be needed to lift the heat pump higher.

You can dig a hole and make what is known as a French Drain, absorbant rocks pretty much, for the air handler and/or the heat pump to drain into.

Advertisement

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

Any drain line, especially the most common made of 3/4" pvc, can be extended/re-directed so as to drain elsewhere.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #4

well heres the thing.

the only thing i could do to extend it somewhere else would be either to dig a line across my driveway, (which is pretty difficult through road base that has settled, its pretty much like concrete now.) This would also be some what uphill so i would have to trench it a good amount across my drive way, then 90 it to the back yard area, where it would eventually come out of the ground since its slopes down hill in that area. this would be about 24 feet across the carport/driveway, then around 40 or more feet toward the back.

i could go toward the front along the side of the driveway with out crossing it, except that would be uphill too, then 90 across the front porch, which would again take over 40 feet to get somewhere down hill.

(i know i would have to trench it to make it go down hill, im not actually saying it would travel up hill)

by the way, i just wanted to see what you would say before i admitted to this, but i have already attached the inside units drain line into the septic, it enters right below a clean out. There is a p-trap installed, and its been like that since last october or november. We have yet to have any issues with a smell. I just had to get rid of the mud hole. i figured if there was an issue i could just unhook it.

Is it really typical for people just to have this drain out right by their foundation.....isnt this a bad idea?

the french drain is an option i have been looking into because this area where it drains just collects water that comes off a nearby hill, and our foundation is shaped like an L where it traps all this water. (the drive way goes up hill as well.)

sorry if all of this is confusing. pictures would do better for understanding the area.

We are installing underground drainage pipes for gutters on the further side of the carport. it probably woulnt be a good idea to pipe it into that either would it? too much rain water some times could cause an issue?

just trying to think of something..
Old 04-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

Here in Houston it is very common for the evaporator/air handler drain line to drain within a few feet of the outside condensing unit. This one has been extened away from the home but usually it would not be that long (trip hazard) or so close to the condenser for the mushy conditions that could allow for the ground under the unit to softly shift, causing the unit to sink.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #6
I'm Your Huckleberry

Another option, a condensate drain pump. The pvc from the evaporator runs the condesate drain water into the pump and the almost clear/brownish tube, running up the wall at an angle, is the water exiting the pump. These pumps can push water up about 10' to 14' high and some 40' to 50' if not longer away. Cheap too.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 04-05-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #7

when i get home i will try to take a picture of the area.

we just cant have this pipe drain in this area (it is, like i said, currently draining into the septic, but i dont think its a good idea), for looks and mud, plus im just worried about the foundation with as much water that is coming out. Also, its draining in an area that is in the shade for about 3/4 of the day, it only gets direct sun in the morning, so it doesnt evaporate well either. thats why it stays muddy, while the rest of our land is deathly dry, and about to burst into flames.

our house was built on the base of a hill, sort of half on it. this drains on the side closest to the hill. i built the pad for the house, and its about 10 feet tall on the furthest side from the hill with a 10 foot tall retaining wall (at its highest point). im just worried all of this water is flowing underneath the foundation toward that retaining wall.

we are thinking of putting gravel/concrete pavers in that area also, for looks, and to help with the collection of water there.

i guess this really not much help i can get with as little info, and no pictures that i have so far...
Old 04-05-2011, 03:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Another option, a condensate drain pump. The pvc from the evaporator runs the condesate drain water into the pump and the almost clear/brownish tube, running up the wall at an angle, is the water exiting the pump. These pumps can push water up about 10' to 14' high and some 40' to 50' if not longer away. Cheap too.

thats cool, what happens if it fails?
Old 04-05-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,472

Participants may not post any message that directs others to any pages at their own commercial web site, including informational pages.
Participants may not direct others to contact them regarding their product or services or future (possible) products or services, or any product or services they are, or have been, associated with.
Participants may not solicit the membership for feedback or suggestions on their product or services.
Participants may not solicit users for any project or purpose external to the forum; public, private, or commercial. Most importantly our member base is not a resource to be "mined" by individuals, groups, or businesses, for profit or not for profit. Further; If you SPAM our members in any manner, your account will be disabled.
Members and/or users may only discuss details about their company and/or product offerings when the thread starter or poster has made direct reference to their company and stated something untrue or misleading, or something which clearly needs clarifying. The response must be in direct reference to the point discussed only and contain no added promotional information and/or fluff. It is advisable when in the above scenario to contact us first.
Participants may not include their company name as part of their username unless you are a local contractor and not selling anything to our members .
Exception: These rules do not apply to local contractors wishing to discuss their businesses, use their business name as their usernname, or link to their own companies websites. The key is that you must not be selling products or services to contractors or homeowners.
Exception: Users may link to commercial or informational sites as long as you have no vested interest in doing so. Example, someone posts a link to a new tool that they are using or to a leads service they have had success with. We are just trying to stop SELF PROMOTION and not valid discussions. We reserve the right to delete any message that we are unsure of its intentions.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
hvactech126 (04-05-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Participants may not post any message that directs others to any pages at their own commercial web site, including informational pages.
Participants may not direct others to contact them regarding their product or services or future (possible) products or services, or any product or services they are, or have been, associated with.
Participants may not solicit the membership for feedback or suggestions on their product or services.
Participants may not solicit users for any project or purpose external to the forum; public, private, or commercial. Most importantly our member base is not a resource to be "mined" by individuals, groups, or businesses, for profit or not for profit. Further; If you SPAM our members in any manner, your account will be disabled.
Members and/or users may only discuss details about their company and/or product offerings when the thread starter or poster has made direct reference to their company and stated something untrue or misleading, or something which clearly needs clarifying. The response must be in direct reference to the point discussed only and contain no added promotional information and/or fluff. It is advisable when in the above scenario to contact us first.
Participants may not include their company name as part of their username unless you are a local contractor and not selling anything to our members .
Exception: These rules do not apply to local contractors wishing to discuss their businesses, use their business name as their usernname, or link to their own companies websites. The key is that you must not be selling products or services to contractors or homeowners.
Exception: Users may link to commercial or informational sites as long as you have no vested interest in doing so. Example, someone posts a link to a new tool that they are using or to a leads service they have had success with. We are just trying to stop SELF PROMOTION and not valid discussions. We reserve the right to delete any message that we are unsure of its intentions.
wait, im confused, why is this posted....

is this because of my link to the trane website....

if so i have nothing to do with (do not work for, have no vested interest in) trane, and i only did it incase someone new of something with this particular unit that may help me....

so if thats the reason it doesnt apply to this.....because i have nothing to do with trane (and because it isnt my "own personal website") other than having one of their units installed....

what spam? (why is that bold)

if it was because of Doc Holliday offering his services to me.....i would consider him a local business since hes in the same state as me....so i dont see how that applies to him either. if its for another reason for something i posted, i am interested to know exactly what....

if its not because of anything i posted,....then ok....i would just like to know more information rather than some random post of rules that means nothing unless explained what it is in relation to.

back to the thread.....i had a sick child to deal with when i got home, so i will have to get pictures tonight then.

thanks
Old 04-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,472

Quote:
if it was because of Doc Holliday offering his services to me.
Not allowed to offer services. This is a DIY site.

Advertisement

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote