1st Floor Heat Turned Off But Pipes For That Zone Are Hot - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2011, 08:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

1st Floor Heat turned off but pipes for that zone are hot

I have Burnham boiler and my house has 3 zones heat (1st Floor, 2nd Floor & Hot water). I have turned off heat in 1st and 2nd floors. Today I noticed that the pipes going into the air handler unit of 1st zone is very hot. I am very surprised as I tuned off heat in both 1st and 2nd zones. Is this a problem? Should I be concerned about this? Also near the boiler I have 3 lights (not sure what they are called) one for each zone and appropriate light turns on when it calls for heat. I noticed that the boiler started on when I did not see any zone calling for heat. Is this a problem here? Please help.

Advertisement

dvsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

first off the boiler supplies domestic hot water so it cycles as required to maintain hot water for the sinks?showers.when you say TURN OFFF the 1st and 2nd floor is that a valve or just the stat ..heated water can migrate with temperature along piping...but if the coil is hot it might be leaking by the control valve...are the stats for the off spaces controlling and in line heating valve or cycling the fan on a call for heat

Advertisement

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
first off the boiler supplies domestic hot water so it cycles as required to maintain hot water for the sinks?showers.when you say TURN OFFF the 1st and 2nd floor is that a valve or just the stat ..heated water can migrate with temperature along piping...but if the coil is hot it might be leaking by the control valve...are the stats for the off spaces controlling and in line heating valve or cycling the fan on a call for heat
Thanks for the reply. When I say "turn off", I meant that the thermostat for 1st and 2nd floor are switched off (in "Off" position). I believe the air handler's coil are getting heated. I know this because if I just turn the fan on, I get hot air in the vents.
So it makes sense about the leaking by the control valve. What is involved in fixing this? Should I call my HVAC company to fix it right now? Does it cause other problems if I dont do anything to fix this now?

I did not understand what you meant by "are the stats for the off spaces controlling and in line heating valve or cycling the fan on a call for heat". can you please explain?
Old 10-26-2011, 05:12 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,488

If you have central A/C through those air handlers, then it needs fixed or you won't be able to use your A/C next year.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #5

Just wanted to post a quick update. The HVAC technician investigated and found that the circulator pump for one zone was always on and was not shutting off even when that zone is not calling for heat. He narrowed down the problem to a bad relay and everything seems to be in order once the relay was replaced.
Thanks for your help guys.