Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #1

Share |

$1500 & 5 "repairs" later we still have a problem...

Ok. First off excuse my layman's language, everything I know about HVAC I learned in the last month! To make a long story short, we put our house on the market on 5/10. On 5/18, we noticed a drip on the back porch. Didn't think much of it at first but after it continued our realtor advised us to call AHS to get a technician out. They send out a guy who told us something related to the evap coil was rusted and he would notify AHS who would confirm the cost of repair. Finally heard back- $2300 price tag as no part was covered. Got a second opinion (independently), same issue, $1700. Went through ORHP, still not covered, but $1300. Went with that guy. Not 2 days after he replaced the evap coil, the condenser grounded out, & we had to have that replaced. Had that done thru ORHP for $200. Two days later, our drip is back. It's been dripping on and off for almost a week. Technician has been out three times: blown out the lines, strapped the main drain pipe at more of a downward angle, and added a cap to the pipe opening (for bleach!?). Still no solution. He is returning Monday but I have little faith in him. We are supposed to close 7/3... Absolutely do not want to scare our buyers off. Any ideas?!?

danapal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #2
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by danapal View Post
Ok. First off excuse my layman's language, everything I know about HVAC I learned in the last month! To make a long story short, we put our house on the market on 5/10. On 5/18, we noticed a drip on the back porch. Didn't think much of it at first but after it continued our realtor advised us to call AHS to get a technician out. They send out a guy who told us something related to the evap coil was rusted and he would notify AHS who would confirm the cost of repair. Finally heard back- $2300 price tag as no part was covered. Got a second opinion (independently), same issue, $1700. Went through ORHP, still not covered, but $1300. Went with that guy. Not 2 days after he replaced the evap coil, the condenser grounded out, & we had to have that replaced. Had that done thru ORHP for $200. Two days later, our drip is back. It's been dripping on and off for almost a week. Technician has been out three times: blown out the lines, strapped the main drain pipe at more of a downward angle, and added a cap to the pipe opening (for bleach!?). Still no solution. He is returning Monday but I have little faith in him. We are supposed to close 7/3... Absolutely do not want to scare our buyers off. Any ideas?!?
Did the buyer point this drip out?
It doesn't sound like it. If you are closing in 2 weeks the house should have already been inspected buy the buyers inspector.
YOUR realtor should not be telling you to fix things in the house. If the buyer wants it fixed negotiate that into the sale price.
As for the tech you paid $1300 to, he needs to fix what he was paid to fix.

Last edited by sublime2; 06-22-2013 at 11:45 PM.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:51 AM   #3

Buyer didn't exist when the drip started. Drip was fixed after they saw the house & before inspection. Our repair amendment states the AC must be in working order. He IS trying to fix it but doesn't seem to know what he's doing. And he hasn't charged us at all since the compressor replacement...

I'm not an idiot, if we could just leave the house as is we would! This MUST be fixed and if there are any costs it WILL come out of our pocket, per the contract, since this popped up again AFTER everything had been arranged, when we thought the problem had already been fixed.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #4

Is this leak coming from a condensate drain?
Got a picture?
Old 06-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

You need a better tech. or you need to go up and find out yourself what is actually causing the drip.

Post pics of the air handler and its drain piping.
Windows on Wash (06-23-2013)
Old 06-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
You need a better tech.
And to specifically avoid AHS to find them.

As a homeowner you should already have a few names in your rolodex for a plumber and electrician and yeah an HVAC service. Call them.

$1500 lesson later: You're starting over from scratch now.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #7

I personally don't like to deal with a seller that says just get it working enough to close.Next week the new owner is stuck with a p-p job.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobelectric For This Useful Post:
RWolff (06-23-2013)
Old 06-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #8

Some of y'all are super unhelpful! Three years into our first house we haven't had plumbing, HVAC, or electrical issues. I come from a handy family and can do many things myself- this is the first "expert necessary" repair we have run into. So no "Rolodex" of contractors at the ready.

And I am not the type of seller who just wants to get something done to get out. (That is the type of seller we are buying from.) I am the type that put quite a lot of blood, sweat, tears, paint, varnish, sod, and PVC cement into the home, and want to leave it in better shape than we received it 3 1/2 years ago.

I will go up and take pictures after we get home from church. I would appreciate any further comments actually be advice on what would help fix the issue. If you live in the Dallas area & know someone reputable who can fix anything, a name would also be appreciated.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
Hvac Pro

post a close up pic of where the drain leaves the air handler. I have had cases where the velocity of the air going thru the AC coil which also sucks on the drain is too high and will cause it to not siphon properly. did you change your filters lately and are all the vents open and return vents unobstructed. I have had to put a 6" nipple at the top of an open tee where the drain exits the coil in order to make an "air gap/break" solution. trial and error but it may not be siphoning/draining properly or fast enough or water is being sucked off the coil. takes YEARS of experience to learn that. drains and siphoning can be tricky to get to work properly. not sure why this changed lately but it could have to do with a change in airflow. horizontal airhandlers and coils are the worst for that, upflows a few times but not so bad. don't get snarky here or you won't get good results.

Last edited by yuri; 06-23-2013 at 10:10 AM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #10

I'm not trying to be snarky! I'm trying to get actual help! I'm a 27 year old 5th grade teacher with a 7 month old and a husband who is an actuary (statistician) & between the three of us no HVAC knowledge! We know now what to do and who not to call next time!

Here's a picture I just took. Let me know if a different view would be more helpful. Or if I need to photograph something else entirely!

Thanks for looking at our issue!
Attached Thumbnails
00 & 5 "repairs" later we still have a problem...-image.jpg  
Old 06-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #11

Do you know where the two drains exit the house? Do they exit at the same place?

There is a pan under the air handler. Does it have any water in it?
Old 06-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #12

Yeah the whole problem is that that backup pan has water in it. That drain line empties under the eaves above our back porch. The other main drain runs into the bathroom below. The tech said he has blown out both lines, so it isn't a clog in the main pipe that is causing the water to divert to the emergency/backup pan instead.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #13

Take the cap off the main drain and pour water down it and see if you can hear/see water draining in the bathroom. If you know how open the air handler door and see if water backs up into the handler.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #14
Hvac Pro

need to completely remove the P trap/S part of the drain where it comes out of the coil and flush it with bleach not just blow it out. then remove that cap on the nipple part/extension which is actually what I was talking about. lots of them don't have that extension and won't work properly.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
An old Tradesmen

While A/C is running. Take the cap off the pipe on the right and look in it and see if you see water running through it. Clog is probably in the main drain pan at the fitting where the main drain screws into it. Or the evap coil is dirty and blowing water past it.