DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

$1440+ labor only repair on 3 yr. old Goodman unit!?!

8K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  sivad37 
#1 ·
Please, please, help!

I sure could use some advise, because I'm disabled living in AZ (115 degrees) and I've had 2 different companies come out both telling me the compressor is bad/going/needs to be replaced, but differed in other things they said (One contradicting what the owner told me when I scheduled the call.) In essence, new compressor, new fan, new blower motor, and reversing valve (not sure about this one, but it was mentioned). What else is there?

The unit is a Goodman heat pump that was put in through the housing rehab program because I'm low income and disabled. I have a lien against my house for the costs. (I had no choice in what unit was put in.)

The problem occurred yesterday when what ended up being a piece of insulation that came loose and blocked something restricting airflow intake from the return? I first called the original installer who'd been out in Dec. 2008 to repair a loose thermostat wire, but from the invoice checked freon and other stuff. - all was ok. They couldn't come out until Monday, so I had to call someone else. But he did tell me the insulation falling out was probably what happened which I immediately told to the first contractor that came out. I did use the a/c when it got to 85 degrees, but when it cooled bit I'd shut it off. Both technicians said this is NOT what caused the compressor to fail. (one said it was the fan, the other said they just sometimes go.)

After looking at the unit, Tech. #1 tells me the fan didn't work until after he hit it, the compressor is shot. We monkey around with the warranty and scheduling, because this needs to be done tomorrow. So I sign the contract and give him half ($714) on a credit card. Then he sees the unit is still not sucking well from the return and tells me I might have a collapsed duct and can he get in the attic. I know I have galvanized duct work and not that flexible stuff and tell him so. He takes the cover off the AC unit and, sure enough, there's the piece of insulation! I have him test it again and he says the readings are actually worse now! I need a new compressor and fan (Labor is over $1400, parts are warrantied.)

The 2nd company (BBB listed) that came out was even worse. I spoke with the owner to schedule the app't and replace the insulation and check the compressor. He said " compressors either work or they don't". I looked at his website and it states "FREE second opinions on compressor replacements", and FREE service call with any A/C repair" (which I thought would go towards replacing the insulation and is why I called him).

The tech comes out and says I needed a new compressor and blower motor ("it felt hot" but was working - jeez, it's on the roof and it's 115 degrees outside - everything feels hot up there). I asked him if was going to replace the insulation and he says it needs a metal strip which he doesn't have because it can't just be reglued for a cost of $120, I said I hate to pay for another service, I thought they could fix it now. Then he says $90, then walks to his truck and brings out some tape and says he'll tape if another $60 (or total of $120 for a repair that he says won't work.) To be honest, there was some language barrier, but it wasn't making sense, so I called the company while he was here and said I'm not comfortable paying $60, and then another $60 to have him come back and put the insulation back on and needed clarification. The girl I spoke with said she couldn't make that decision, the owner wasn't available, but she'd have him call me. I said I'd be more than happy to work it out and pay , but not until I understood what I was getting or what should be done.

I explain all this to the poor tech and he calls and speaks with the owner. Then the owner calls me up screaming how "He hears I don't want to pay!" I attempt to calm him down and ask him, well you told me earlier a compressor either works or doesn't, the a/c is working as good as it ever did as far as I can tell, so do I need a compressor? He says thats up to me to decide. Then I mention what is on his website and he says the $90/$120/whatever already has the service call deducted from that. (Not that I want to, but I think I could reattach the insulation w/o too much problem.) But $180 to reattach a 31" x 31" piece of insulation seems excessive. I ask the owner, well how much is it to correctly attach the insulation because I got 3 different prices and he can't tell me and mentions a kit needs to be used? Elsewhere on the unit, I saw another piece of insulation attached with 4 sheet metal screws with large washers to hold it in place (The first tech said that was bad for some reason.)

So I'm paying $39.95 for someone to take the piece of insulation out and hook up some gauges - that's okay - though I should have been giiven the option to get it reattached w/ a quote. (If the company is honest and refunds my credit card, which I think they'll do.)

But now I get charged another $60 for nothing except get yelled at because I couldn't make sense of what they were saying.

And I still don't know if the compressor is really bad and should be replaced, if it's the fan, blower motor, reversing valve, etc. too?

I did go up and read the gauges the 2nd guy used and he did do a more thorough check with a temp gauge at the return and registers (said temp difference should be 20 degrees but it's only 15 degrees difference) and it did look like the readings were less than what was on the Heat Pumps label.

But it seems to be working fine now, but I'm terrified it will suddenly break in this heat. I can't keep paying $60-$75 for someone to come out nor can I afford to basically pay for all that labor on 3 year old heat pump (the unit was line itemed at $5457 when installed). I did buy an extended warranty for $100, but that only covers $800 in labor, which would help if the work is truly required, but still, the reason I got this is because I'm low income, disabled, and living in a crappy neighborhood. I never had a problem in 11 yrs. with my old 1970's heatpump nor has my electric bill dropped, but I'll have to look at the kilowatts I was using.

Believe it or not, this is the short version of what happened and the stuff I was told.

Can this possibly be right and happening!!! Please help, I'm terrified my AC will break and I can't take days in this heat (I have no where else to go and have 2 elderly dogs) to get quotes to repair or keep paying for the service calls! I don't know who to believe. What should I do - I'm panicking?

I'm thinking that if it goes, I will put everything in my car and go to my Mom's in WI until fall when I can take my time to deal with this, but this option presents several problems, too.

WARNING: Beware of The Housing Rehab Programs (HUD money given to cities to help low income people in bad neighborhoods.) They put a lien against your house, make you have work done that's not needed, and you get a bunch of junk and shoddy work!)

See less See more
#2 ·
With the unit only being 3 yrs old the compressor should be under warranty. Not the labor and to replace the compressor shouldn't exceed $800.

Google Goodman and go to there web site and try to find another dealer the guy you are dealing with seems like a real ass clown.

15 deg different from supply/return is pretty good on a 115 deg day.

Find a better tech

Talk to friends and neighbors and see who they use.

#3 ·
I guess you know the cost of living where this company is from.

OP:
Doubtfull the compressor is bad. Wait till you can get the guy/company out that installed it.

#5 ·
I would say that your original problem was the insulation that had come loose. Your system is probably grossly overcharged due to the airflow restriction. I would recommend calling a major brand {lennox, trane, carrier} dealer to check your system. You will have a better chance of getting honest service work.

#6 · (Edited)
There may be nothing wrong with the unit now.
Sequence of events:
1) insulation falls off and restricts return
2) Motor overheats and cuts out on thermal overload, evap coil may have froze up
3) Customer shuts it off, insulation removed
4) Coil thaws out, motor cools off and resets
5) Unit restarted and all okay
6) Rarely does a motor or compressor get permanently damaged by one incident (scrolls can handle liquid slugging better than recips)
Sounds like dishonest contractor trying to take advantage of customer

PS: The compressor and motor may have a shorter lifespan now but if they are working and unit is cooling okay now then they don't need replacing. If they fail in the future that is another story.

#7 ·
Thanks all of you! I feel better now and calmed down. It's just so hard to find a honest contractor out here. Neither technician replaced the insulation. Should I just do it myself? It didn't really look all that hard if I can tell well it should go exactly. I wasn't up on the roof when the guy found it, but the top cover came off and he just pulled out the insulaton. (I know to turn the power off.)

It was a very bad day, ktr who replastered my pool was scheduled to come that day for a crack and I'm being ignored for some rain gutters I had installed a month or so ago, that leak behind the gutters very badly. (They want another $160 to add a metal strip along the edge.)

I just don't understand how people can do this to one another. I'm orig. from WI and this type of thing never happened. Checking with the registrar of contractors and the BBB seems to be a waste of time.

Or am I being taken advantage of because I'm a woman? ( i hate to think that that's still the case.) Last winter, I painted the exterior of my house (took me 6 mos.) but I know I did a better job than another I could have hired.

Thanks again you all!

#8 · (Edited)
The insulation should be replaced. Some contact cement or silicone on the insulation backing and unit and then some screws with large washers will work just fine. Dishonest contractors prey on the elderly and anybody else they can without regards to gender. I nailed a dishonest chimney guy trying to rip off an elderly lady and just about put him out of business. "What goes around comes around" and I am sure he will fall off a roof soon if he hasn't already.

#9 ·
Well, I'm only 48 yrs. old, but feel like 80. I've had several surgeries(knees) and currently have a broken shoulder, but I still eventually climbed up on the roof so I could see what was going on. It's just very difficult for me. I used to be able to do a lot of work myself. I just don't know how to avoid the dishonest ones. I usually give people the benefit of the doubt and figure "most" are honest, but I think out here "most" are not. I really want to get my house fixed up and move back to WI to care for my 86 yr. old Mom. More pressure. But people are better up there for the most part.

Thanks, I think I will try and put that insulation on myself, if I can see exactly where it goes. Hopefully they be some glue residue where it came off of.

#12 · (Edited)
But it seems to be working fine now, but I'm terrified it will suddenly break in this heat. I can't keep paying $60-$75 for someone to come out nor can I afford to basically pay for all that labor on 3 year old heat pump (the unit was line itemed at $5457 when installed). I did buy an extended warranty for $100, but that only covers $800 in labor, which would help if the work is truly required, but still, the reason I got this is because I'm low income, disabled, and living in a crappy neighborhood. I never had a problem in 11 yrs. with my old 1970's heatpump nor has my electric bill dropped, but I'll have to look at the kilowatts I was using.

The man states it above..$800

How would you know the fee is fare do you live in this mans area and know the cost of living?

That kind of fee here would not fly.

As far as the compressor, No I would not just slap a new compressor in. A proper diag would be done first and a fee up front. Really love the guys that can't help out a disabled brother..just screw and screw $$$ out of them. Disabled, veterans and senior I cut my labor in half and YOU?

135 deg on the roof..yea so it's hot..

Just keep in the back of your head that you are not in iraq with body armor, weapon, a vehicle with no a/c, then remember you are here. Free to do what ever you want to do. Help those who can't afford us or not, it will always come back around.

#14 ·
She isn't where you are.

Lot of areas in AZ sre high cost of living.

I haven'y changed out a compressor on a split unit with the condener on the ground for less then 1000 bucks for 4 years. If I didn't do the original install. And yes, thats with the compressor under warranty.

Only contractors in her area, can give her an appropriate price.
Contractors on the internet not in her area. Can only fuel someones doubts on price. And prolong the task of gettinga system repaired.

She is in a hurry. And picked 2 companies, that have techs 2 candles short of the dimmest bulbs on the christmas tree.

#15 ·
Thanks Yuri. Man I overlooked that. Sure sounds like a strong gal.

I had a disabled guy last year that gave me a camera because he couldn't get out and watch. Had me take pics of the gauges before and after because I said it was low on charge.

#16 ·
Yeah, I'm a gal. I do think the companies here are busy this time of year, but when I get conflicting info it makes a little hard to know how who to trust. I really don't think the cost of living here is too high. It's been overbuilt, so the contractors should not have many new installations like they've had in the past. Economy is bad here too.

As for the heat, yeah, I was up there too. It's hot, but why they don't do things in the evening at this time of year is beyond me. That's when they do road construction. Plus I could handle it, so some younger guy shuld be able to - one adjusts when you live out here. Not an excuse to charge more.

I don't even mind paying a fair price IF it really does need all those repairs and the price is fair. I just don't even know if all that stuff needs to be replaced and is the price fair. I understand about having to recapture the R22 freon and put that all in and that's not considered a "part".

I did read the gauges the 2nd guy hooked up Blue (Low) side read 100, the label on the unit said 150. The Red (High) gauge read 200, the label said 300. The tech said it should be 275? I don't know if they can fool around with the gauges. He did release a little gas after hooking up the gauges?

Also the cost of attaching the insulation seemed unbelieveable! - $180. I would think that would be include in the $60 service call. Anyone heard of a "kit" to do this? All you do is remove the 10 or so bolts from the top of the heat pump and there it is.

Also this is a heat pump on the roof, not a A/C on the ground.

I'm mainly furious at the owner of the 2nd company calling me up yelling when initially called them because I couldn't understand the tech. I was very nice talking to the tech and the office girl, I just wanted clarification. And that his ad totally misrepresented what did (I'm still debating disputing the charge or contacting he BBB, and registrar of contractors. See: http://www.aircareaz.com . Plus, I didn't even see a ladder on the tech's truck, he used mine. I completely didn't mind paying the $60 towards replacing the insulation, but not to pay a service call, again, because the tech didn't have the stuff with him and then he kept changing the price and never said I was getting a credit for the service call when I asked (language barrier?). When my thermostat wire came loose in Dec., the $72 service call completely covered the repair and the guy was here for a good two hours and even then called his boss to try and lower it, because they installed the unit.

Whole thing is weird. Thanks I'm taking into each and every post, but does anyone think my A/C could sudden just stop working or will it slowly start to blow less cold air. If I can buy time, that would be great.

#18 ·
The labels pressure listings are test pressures, not operating pressures.

If they did the work in the evenings. They would charge you more, because they would be paying the techs overtime.

No way to predict if it will stop working soon again or not, over the internet.

Just like the road work cost more to do in the evenings.

#19 ·
I would not worry about it. One freezeup doesn't usually ruin a unit. If it is cooling 15 deg in your climate that is good. You probably have more of a chance of the unit being damaged by a power surge etc than what just happened. Cannot prevent power surges etc. Make sure you take a garden hose and sprayer and wash out the outdoor coil a couple times a summer. If it gets dirty the unit overheats.

#20 ·
Thanks, guys/gals!

The unit apparently never froze - like freezing to the insulation (though it was a little wet when it came off), from what I was told. I actually think the insulation may have been loose for a while, because it is blowing much better than I recall ever!

Sounds like I probably shouldn't worry too much about until something goes wrong again. Probably don't even need to worry about replacing the insulation (that one one tech said?). Though I may go up on a cooler evening and take the cover off and look at it. It would be easier to when my broken shoulder heals.

Still no response on using 2 part epoxy to reglue the insulation, if I can make holes in it, though where the two nails were must have been holes. I can also through some silicon sealant on them.

Thanks again everyone! I feel much better, though still a bit worried, but at least not panicky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.