$14 Grand??? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2008, 09:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

$14 grand???

Hello everyone,

My first post on here and I hope someone can shed some light on a subject I have very little knowledge.

I have a 11 yr old two story, 2300sq.ft. home in North Carolina with a split unit. We've had problems with the coils leaking and have had to replace coolant each spring for the last 3 years; Last week the capacitor went out on the one unit. So far this year we've spent $520 in service call, parts, and recharging to keep cool. The system is 11 years old, so I thought I'd get a quote on replacing all the components. I was shocked that the first (and so far only quote), came in at $14K..

The quote included 2 ton Heat pump & Gas pack, 13 -15 Seer for downstairs and a 2 ton unit upstairs (R410A) 10 yr P&L warranty.

Questions: First, is 11 years a average lifespan?; Secondly, is the $14K way out of line?: Third, Can is there a fix without replacing all the units with all new?

ANy help is appreciated.

Advertisement

Lefthanded Screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
oops, did I do that!

Rewards Points: 250

$14 grand???

What am I missing here. Do you already have two separate systems, and they are going to replace both? Or are they adding a second system to an already existing system?

Advertisement

8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

$14 grand???

It is easy to spend a lot of money on an air conditioner, but you probably don't have to spend 14K. I would be curios to hear the answer to 8 Ball's question.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 08-19-2008 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Site Rules Violation: Advertising Link Removed From Signature
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

$14 grand???

for 2 systems complete replacement its a good price . 11 years is about 2/3's of an average life but in those 11 years you have ben constantly running low/out of refrigerent you have dramaticly decreased the life expectancy. should have fixed the leak from day 1 , and the company that added to a system year after year with out making a repair is in violation of federal law , and if you where not willing to pay for the repair they should have left without adding a drop. long story short its not a rip its reasonable keep in mind the required maint and those costs for that extended warranttee.
P.S. My kids just wanted to thank you and that company for doing your part to destroy our planet
geo fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:22 PM   #5

$14 grand???

8Ball & Charles,

They are quoting a Everest 2 ton/Heat Pump, Gas Pack for the lower level of the home and a separate 2 ton Everest upstairs (R410a) to replace similar sized Carrier units

Geo,
Maybe I shouldn't have the Company that violated Federal Law even quote on the system. Also, tell your kids that I neglected to maintain the leaking system because I needed to afford the gas for the Hummer, the Chainsaws, the Bulldozers and for the Asphalt that I used to pave over the Lawn.

Now I know better.

To all: Is Everest a reliable brand?

Last edited by Lefthanded Screwdriver; 08-08-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000
Cool

$14 grand???

tell your kids that I neglected to maintain the leaking system because I needed to afford the gas for the Hummer, the Chainsaws, the Bulldozers and for the Asphalt that I used to pave over the Lawn.-----> at least you can afford gas.......

cute....

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:12 PM   #7
oops, did I do that!

$14 grand???

Thats the Geo we all know and love!!

14k sounds like a lot of money. Shop around a little, if your not in a hurry you can probably save a couple k.

We dont get a lot of heatpumps up here in the frozen north, someone else here, even Geo has probably heard of the manufacturer. I have never heard of "Everest" heat pumps, and my Google search turned up nothing.

Whats wrong with them, are they both trashed?(the AC units)

Has anyone given you a price to fix it right? When you say coils leak, do you mean the indoor or outdoor coils? Carrier doesnt want you to have to replace the entire system every 11yrs. Were the leaks repaired as they were found? If you have had a consistent problem with one component, replace the component.

Last edited by 8 Ball; 08-10-2008 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:59 AM   #8

$14 grand???

Thanks for the help 8ball.,

We are not in a real hurry, and I always will get additional quotes. (The first quote just threw me for a loop, as I was thinking much less $$).

The HVAC guy that quoted the Everest system told me that they were made by Goodman, but at a higher standard- Thus the 10yr Parts & labor.

WHen I get quotes I'll have them quote to fix and to replace and see where the chips lay. We will probably be selling the home in 9 months, and while we could just "fix" it, we were thinking that "new" might help sell it better. -

On the otherhand, if we can repair the system, it would allow $$$ to go to putting in cosmetic upgrades which will help in selling
Old 08-11-2008, 06:14 AM   #9
oops, did I do that!

$14 grand???

There are a lot of Goodman problems posted here.

If you do decide to have the system repaired, it is important to have it done properly, and it is not inexpensive. I cannot imagine it being anywhere near the cost to replace. It is not difficult to inflate the cost to repair, in order to justify a replacement.

Please keep us posted.

Last edited by 8 Ball; 08-11-2008 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:26 AM   #10
Whatamess

$14 grand???

I found the web site here http://www.everrestextremecomfort.com/ No mention of 10 year labor just parts.

Advertisement