Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

120V inline thermostat with remote sensor bulb

I have a gas fired ceiling mounted radiiant heater in my garage. It is controlled by a 120 volt inline t-stat. The problem is it is on an outside wall and has a tendency to run to much. I want to replace it with one with the following specs; 120v, spst, close on a fall/open on a rise, heat only, digital with a remote sensor bulb. Do they make One, and would you know where I could find one.

Thank you
Roy

Roy Pritts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

why do you need a remote sensor bulb? Just put the t-stat where you want it to read the temp.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:35 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
why do you need a remote sensor bulb? Just put the t-stat where you want it to read the temp.

Probably because its easier to run a stat wire for a remote sensor. then to rerun the line voltage control wire.

I'm not aware of any line voltage stats that use a remote sensor. they may be made though. Might need to search the internet a bit to find them.

Another option is to build a stand off from the outside wall and mount the thermostat on it. Then you only need a short piece of wire from the original mounting box, to the stand off.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Probably because its easier to run a stat wire for a remote sensor. then to rerun the line voltage control wire.
f.
Running wire is running wire pretty much to me.

The inclusion of the remote sensor pretty much removes the line voltage t-stat anyway. If he is going to go with a low voltage control, skip all the fancy and just use low voltage control and put the t-stat wherever you want it.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #5

Quote:

The inclusion of the remote sensor pretty much removes the line voltage t-stat anyway. If he is going to go with a low voltage control, skip all the fancy and just use low voltage control and put the t-stat wherever you want it.
But that would include a 120/24 transformer and a relay. Then a box to put them in ( if they wouldn't fit in the unit ). Then the low voltage wire.

Would try what beenthere said...
newtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Quote:

Then he has to do a lot of rewiring to get low voltage for his thermostat.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Then he has to do a lot of rewiring to get low voltage for his thermostat.
a lot? not really. I wouldn't call a tap from the power to a transformer a lot of rewiring.

but my point is if he wants a remote sensor, he is going to have to go the low voltage route anyway. If you are going to do that, just convert to low voltage control and put the t-stat where you want the sensor. Why have a sensor? that would be adding unnecessary wiring, IMO.

Quote:
newtech

But that would include a 120/24 transformer and a relay. Then a box to put them in ( if they wouldn't fit in the unit ). Then the low voltage wire.

Would try what beenthere said...

and yet you seem to have missed what beenthere said:

Quote:
I'm not aware of any line voltage stats that use a remote sensor. they may be made though. Might need to search the internet a bit to find them.
If you are referring to this:

Quote:
Another option is to build a stand off from the outside wall and mount the thermostat on it. Then you only need a short piece of wire from the original mounting box, to the stand off.
You are going to have to school me on what benefit that would be. It would remove the intimate contact with the wall which would reduce direct heat transfer but the proximity to the wall would be changed so little, the temp gradient experienced all along the exterior wall would still be in play. On top of that, the space behind your t-stat would be a little refrigerator where the wall temperature would affect the space behind the t-stat more than the ambient temp of the main area of the room.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
You are going to have to school me on what benefit that would be. It would remove the intimate contact with the wall which would reduce direct heat transfer but the proximity to the wall would be changed so little, the temp gradient experienced all along the exterior wall would still be in play. On top of that, the space behind your t-stat would be a little refrigerator where the wall temperature would affect the space behind the t-stat more than the ambient temp of the main area of the room.
The space behind the build out. Will be virtually room temp. Since the air will always be moving past it. It works very well.

He needs to do a lot of rewiring to use a low voltage stat. needs a transformer. And of course a relay.

Build out is much much easier.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #9

Quote:

and yet you seem to have missed what beenthere said:

Don't think so
newtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Pritts
I have a gas fired ceiling mounted radiiant heater in my garage. It is controlled by a 120 volt inline t-stat. The problem is it is on an outside wall and has a tendency to run to much. I want to replace it with one with the following specs; 120v, spst, close on a fall/open on a rise, heat only, digital with a remote sensor bulb. Do they make One, and would you know where I could find one.

Thank you
Roy
Try insulating behind the stat via permanent gum your wall is probably drafting and not insulated.
Hixheat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hixheat1

Try insulating behind the stat via permanent gum your wall is probably drafting and not insulated.
No transformer no remote bulb and the section were the stat Is the actual temp snap
Old 12-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #12
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
beenthere;550660]The space behind the build out. Will be virtually room temp. Since the air will always be moving past it. It works very well.
There will be a slight benefit to your fix but unless it is a major build out, not much. There will be a sheet of cold air near the wall. You would have to build out beyond that thermal layer to have much benefit. You will still have too many off/on cycles due to the heater running and circulating warm air but once it shuts down and the air begins to settle, the cold from the wall will cause the stat to be exposed to lower than the main area of the room.

If you don't believe me, take an accurate thermometer and measure the temp starting about a foot away from the wall and take a temp every inch towards the wall. You can also simply use a infrared cam and image the wall. If it is lower than the rest of the room, there will be a sheet of air close to the wall that is cooler than the rest of the room.

Quote:
He needs to do a lot of rewiring to use a low voltage stat. needs a transformer. And of course a relay.
that is far from what I would consider to be "a lot".

Quote:
Build out is much much easier.
but not as effective.

OP can do what he wants. stat shouldn't be on exterior wall, even with all the little cheesy attempts to fix the problem. Adding a control transformer and other needed controls is not a big job. Placing a line voltage stat on an inner wall is not that big of a deal either.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap
There will be a slight benefit to your fix but unless it is a major build out, not much. There will be a sheet of cold air near the wall. You would have to build out beyond that thermal layer to have much benefit. You will still have too many off/on cycles due to the heater running and circulating warm air but once it shuts down and the air begins to settle, the cold from the wall will cause the stat to be exposed to lower than the main area of the room.

If you don't believe me, take an accurate thermometer and measure the temp starting about a foot away from the wall and take a temp every inch towards the wall. You can also simply use a infrared cam and image the wall. If it is lower than the rest of the room, there will be a sheet of air close to the wall that is cooler than the rest of the room.

that is far from what I would consider to be "a lot".

but not as effective.

OP can do what he wants. stat shouldn't be on exterior wall, even with all the little cheesy attempts to fix the problem. Adding a control transformer and other needed controls is not a big job. Placing a line voltage stat on an inner wall is not that big of a deal either.
The real question what does he use the garage for. The stat should be on interior wall but with out proper insulation the unit will still short cycle. And waste energy
Old 12-16-2010, 01:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hixheat1 View Post
The real question what does he use the garage for. The stat should be on interior wall but with out proper insulation the unit will still short cycle. And waste energy
Gentlemen thank you for all of your input. I use the garage for my vehicles and projects and just for hanging out. I bought this property in 2006 and the garage was already existing and heated. A t-stat should never be placed on an outside wall. I would have to build an interior wall. The 30 x 40 garage is finised in osb board. Rerouting power and building a wall would cost more than finding a 110 volt line thermostat with a remote sensing bulb.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Pritts View Post
Gentlemen thank you for all of your input. I use the garage for my vehicles and projects and just for hanging out. I bought this property in 2006 and the garage was already existing and heated. A t-stat should never be placed on an outside wall. I would have to build an interior wall. The 30 x 40 garage is finised in osb board. Rerouting power and building a wall would cost more than finding a 110 volt line thermostat with a remote sensing bulb.
I could mount the sensor on the end/outer edge of a shelf mounted above the existing stat. By the way I have already tried insulating behind the stat by using insulation and offsetting with a 1/2 inch foam board.