Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #1

Share |

1 of 3 burners does not light.

Problem: middle burner on 3 burner sysyem. Induced draft gas furance.
Other two burners lite just fine. There is gas on the crossover tube.
Burner seems clean with a flashlight. Did not have a air compresser to blow it out.
Thanks in advance...

howardjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Post make, model and serial # and a pic of it so we can help better.

yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:39 PM   #3

I sounds like you may have a blockage in the orfice to that burner. Remove the burner and orfice to clean there may be a spider web in it.
JohnH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #4

Update: Reem 80, 17 years old. Only problems in past were igner a few times, board once. Don't have model # at this time. It is 75k btu, has 3 burners, updraft.

Used paperclip to clean out orfice.

I will try to blow out everyting with air in the morning and report then.

Thanks for the replies
Old 01-12-2009, 08:09 PM   #5

If there is a web in the orfice sticking a paper clip in it will not clear it. It will still be there. The orfice must be removed. I know it is a pain to remove maby try the 1st.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:59 PM   #6

Found a mouse in a burner once, would light the crossover but not the burner. Might be worth checking.
SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:39 PM   #7

Thumbs up

Took all apart and blow with air, including the orifce. Fired right up. Did not see much blow out but must have got what ever it was.
Thank again for your replies...
Old 01-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #8

I think I have a similar problem. I have a comfort maker gas furnace - mid 90's model. Just had the furnace dude here for a check up. Showed me in the pilot window where you see the flames start up - that all 3 burners light up normally, then of of the tubes has just a flame at the end of it.
He said that it was building up gases , I was in danger of blowing up the house.
He also said that some reading for the heat exchanger was bad - 3.2. Also claimed that my inducer was about to fail.
Now, my questions:
How much merit is there that I'm going to blow up my house? The last 2 times he was here, he pushed really hard to sell me a new unit. Last visit he said I had a cracked heat exchanger - no crack this time.
How would I go about blowing out the tubes - which seems, at least in thread, a very inexpensive repair compared to a r/r job.
Are there laws that require them to disable the furnace for problems like this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
rtbrps3383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbrps3383 View Post
I think I have a similar problem. I have a comfort maker gas furnace - mid 90's model. Just had the furnace dude here for a check up. Showed me in the pilot window where you see the flames start up - that all 3 burners light up normally, then of of the tubes has just a flame at the end of it.
He said that it was building up gases , I was in danger of blowing up the house.
He also said that some reading for the heat exchanger was bad - 3.2. Also claimed that my inducer was about to fail.
Now, my questions:
How much merit is there that I'm going to blow up my house? The last 2 times he was here, he pushed really hard to sell me a new unit. Last visit he said I had a cracked heat exchanger - no crack this time.
How would I go about blowing out the tubes - which seems, at least in thread, a very inexpensive repair compared to a r/r job.
Are there laws that require them to disable the furnace for problems like this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Crack then no crack, high pressure sales, I have no idea what a 3.2 grade is for a heat exchanger is. Maby it was gas pressure. If a furnace is dangerous we do shut it off. Better cold than dead. It never hurts to get a 2nd opinion.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
Hvac Pro

"Found a mouse in a burner once". Would light the mouse and not the burner methinks. Thought I heard it all. Birds in ventor fans are common. Had a red squirrel go kamikaze down a chimney into a ventor fan. Gross.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
"Found a mouse in a burner once". Would light the mouse and not the burner methinks. Thought I heard it all. Birds in ventor fans are common. Had a red squirrel go kamikaze down a chimney into a ventor fan. Gross.
Mouse huh. I bet it tasts like chicken
Old 01-14-2009, 08:42 PM   #12

If you do not trust the tech get a new tech.

17 yo furnace should get a few more years. What model 80% 90% efficient. If the heater is cracked in that cell gas would blow into the vestibule and ignite tripping the roll out. More likely it is plugged. You will need to take it apart to get to the top use a furnace brush and push down then from the top and push up then repeat.

If it is a 90 you will need to clean the secondary not DIY
Dr Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:59 AM   #13

Thanks for the replies. So am I to understand then, that my situation MAY not be as dangerous as my tech is trying to make it out to be?
If that's true, is this a common practice in HVAC? It really irks me that this guy is trying to cash in on my ignorance of the business.
But I will get a second opinion.
If it's only plugged, how hard is it to take apart to get at the tube to clean it out? Is that a DIY type of job?
Appreciate all the help!

rtbrps3383 is offline   Reply With Quote