DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Zoysia Grass

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  r0ckstarr 
#1 ·
We live in southeastern Michigan where it’s cold in the winter months and often times dry in the summer. We have two Labradors that love to run, consequently the turf flies and now that the ground is beginning to thaw the yard is becoming a mud hole.

My question is does anyone have experience with Zoysia grass? Is it worth the money? Does it grow in Michigan? Can it take abuse and can it handle grab grass?

Any help would be appreciated.

#4 ·
One of our former houses had zoysia grass in the front yard, in northeastern Ohio. That stuff would turn brown halfway through the season in midsummer and that was it, it was done for the season. I didn't care for it at all. It was there when we bought the house. With two labs, no matter what you put in, they're going to have fun tearing it up. That's what labs are for. It's what they do.:laughing:
Mike Hawkins:)

#5 ·
I don't know what grab grass is, but grab ass is a popular game which young couples play. Crab grass would probably be choked out by this funky grass.

I visited some guy's house last year in the late summer/early fall, and I asked him if he had buried some mattresses in his yard.

We had a terrible drought last year and everyone's grass went dormant.

Maybe he was watering the bejesus out of his lawn, I don't know, but it sure was beautiful to walk on.

He mentioned that you start this type of grass with plugs, which I read about before, so I told him I would find my wife's bulb planter and come back at night and take a bunch of plugs out of his lawn.

#6 ·
You know I can proof read what I write ten times, my eyes see one thing, my brain sees another. OOOPS CRAB GRASS, but then grab has it's place too. Thanks for the info. The labs are worth more to me than the grass, I think I'll keep em.

#7 ·
Front Yard Grass

I am searching this forum for ideas on GRASS. I just had my driveway widened. Here in San Antonio we hve been in a long drought. Last year I agave up and just turned off my sprinklers knowing I would have to do something. Just last week I had a bucket tractor? Not sure what you call them larger than bobcat but not a full size dozer. Anyhow, they scraped all the old grass off front yard. I am waiting for some final brick work and sprinklers to be repaired before laying down grass . . I can't seem to find anything better than what I had before; St. Augustine. Anyone have ideas? I would like some real world results please! To many of my friends say well I heard this or that. I am hoping someone can say I am using this and it is GREAT! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.