Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Yellow Lawn

So i'm a bit bummed....3rd summer in my new house and my lawn has a Yellow tinge to it. Looks to be the tips, but i'll pull some tomorrow and add some pics to this post. Each September I have aerated and overseeded. I've used only Scott's Seed (not that I think its that superior...just wanted to be consistent). The grass is thick and lush, and feels like silk.

The soil is heavy clay, and I have added some Lime, but not a lot, and not consistently. I fertilize on schedule (Scott's schedule), but still have a yellow tinge that persisted all Spring and Summer Any thoughts/ideas on how to determine what it is, and make it go away for good

Do I abandon Scott's fertilizer, and switch to manure/compost?...add more Lime...Iron...Fungus control..?

mahjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 264

Yellow Lawn

how much are you supplementing nitrogen in your fertilizing schedule? Have you gotten your soil tested? do you water the grass? what state do you live in?

Nitrogen helps keep grass green, soil testing will give you good recommendations as to what your soil REALLY needs, not just what scotts whats to sell you.

MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Yellow Lawn

other than Scott's fertilizer's, and some lime in the fall, nothing else is added. I have not tested the soil yet...but I will be getting that done over the next few weeks. I live in Maryland, and in this section, the ground is a heavy red clay soil.
mahjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 572

Yellow Lawn

If it is just the tips, it could be a dull mower blade causing the blades of the grass to be torn rather than cleanly cut.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 264

Yellow Lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahjohn View Post
other than Scott's fertilizer's, and some lime in the fall, nothing else is added. I have not tested the soil yet...but I will be getting that done over the next few weeks. I live in Maryland, and in this section, the ground is a heavy red clay soil.
oh, this is easy, I live in Maryland too. I'm the DC burbs.

Maryland doesn't have a state run lab to test soil anymore, I'd recommend using Massachusetts.

Maryland's article on getting soil tests (I did just use the Massachusetts one and am very happy, took ~ a week)
http://www.hgic.umd.edu/content/docu...tLab7_2011.pdf

Good article on getting a lawn in Maryland
http://www.hgic.umd.edu/documents/hg102.pdf

fertilizers
http://www.hgic.umd.edu/content/documents/hg42_003.pdf

and this page tells you how to get a free bag for the soil sample...

http://www.hgic.umd.edu/content/SoilTesting.cfm

but yea, I'd use the maryland state info. I literally just got in from putting down tall fescue on part of my lawn and I'll be putting down fine fescue on the other part when it comes in tomorrow. Depending on where you are the fescue's or kentucky blue grasses may be best but I went with fescue's.

Also, we are in a transition state so the it's not like it's a clear "cold season" or "warm season" grasses so it's not like you're going to get something that does amazingly well.

Best of luck, let me know if you have more questions.
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote