Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
I love my new front yard!

Share |

yard themes?

Today while fishing, the wife & I decided we are going to go with a Back yard nautical theme.

I actually caught a heavy anchor today while fishing on the lake & thats what set our wheels spinning.

& so I'm thinking about finding an old ships style steering wheel & maybe a small dingy & different things that would fit the theme.

How many of you have theme yards & if you do might you post some pics to motivate us?

Thanks in advance for any input you might have on this.

Telfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #2

yard themes?

try painting 9" square pieces of 3/4" plywood white and do flag lettering for your last name.... http://www.soundkeepers.com/kids/alphabet/

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #3

yard themes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
try painting 9" square pieces of 3/4" plywood white and do flag lettering for your last name.... http://www.soundkeepers.com/kids/alphabet/
Interesting idea, I'll probably ad that to the yard thanks.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #4

yard themes?

buoys..something like these in color but if your white wash 2 lenghts of 2X4s and nail them together then cut different lenght some craft store .89cent paint colors and your good to go...some fish netting and as you collect shells and crabs pieces of driftwood just pinch them into the net...KOY fish pond would be cool http://fineartamerica.com/featured/r...-lou-ford.html
Old 10-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #5

yard themes?

if you do the lettering run 2 pieces of furring strips horizontal and mount the letters to it spaced out to define each letter...this so you don't nail each one into the house or fencing..minimal holes..they look cool when they weather out
Old 10-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #6

yard themes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
buoys..something like these in color but if your white wash 2 lenghts of 2X4s and nail them together then cut different lenght some craft store .89cent paint colors and your good to go...some fish netting and as you collect shells and crabs pieces of driftwood just pinch them into the net...KOY fish pond would be cool http://fineartamerica.com/featured/r...-lou-ford.html
I originally was gonna build a pond for fish, not koi though.
& I also like the buoys idea or the ones you showed looked more like boat bumpers to me & I loved the old wore out look of the ones in the picture, I randomly find things at my lake through the year & will start using some of what I find.
Like the anchor I found yesterday.

Thanks for the ideas guys, keep them coming.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
the Musigician

yard themes?

Yeah guys, keep going! And Telfair, when do we get to see pics? At least a shot of the anchor....?

DM
Old 10-27-2011, 12:23 AM   #8

yard themes?

As of today walking around the yard thinking up ideas I'm considering a Jacuzzi in the back yard in the corner.

This is the anchor I found , Probably not what you expected?

This area will be gated with a matching to the surrounding gate.

I'll just keep bags of recycling & stuff behind the gate out of site.

This is basically what my back yard is.
From where I'm standing I'll cementing it over for RV parking.

This will be the RV parking spot.

Far left in the background is where I'm thinking of a 3 person or so Jucuzzi?

Debating if I should rip out the cement or finish it out to complete it into an all cement patio here?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:26 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

yard themes?

Sounds like you have a fun project ahead of you. I would Google images for boatyards and things for some additional ideas. Round timbers would be natural elements for a theme you have in mind. You need some boat oars of course and how about net floats and so forth.

Just a suggestion? I think you should scale out your yard and transfer the dimensions to graph paper and so forth. Then play with the elements you have in mind on paper first. Your yard looks a bit small to be sinking an old row boat or dinghy in it?

Don't forget plant life and drip irrigation or something to keep all healthy!
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #10

yard themes?

my place up front for ideas out there...i would consider sod/grass and pavers vs full concrete the full sun is going to bake you back their.nice fencing mint for buoys and sections of netting randomly..my place faces and is 100' from the Great South Bay of Long Island 20 minutes west of Fire Island Lighthouse check out Coastal Living Magazine for tons of ideas inside and out

Last edited by biggles; 10-27-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #11

yard themes?

If I placed a boat back there it would be TINY because yes my yard is not big & yes mod of the yard will be St Agustine grass because I'm getting a dog soon.