Yard Slope - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2016, 11:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Yard slope

I am building a small parking pad next to my garage and patio. My lot is really flat, so I spent a ton of time making sure the ground is sloped away from everything, and towards the alley. Today my load of gravel was delivered... My question is, how much should I try and slope the gravel? Can I just level it?

Am I crazy to think that as long as the ground is sloped correctly, the rain and snow melt will drain through the gravel, and go to the alley?

Thanks

Advertisement

RustyTrombone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,384

Re: Yard slope

Do you have crushed gravel, or round gravel?

Crushed gravel will lock together and cause the voids between stones to be smaller, or non-existent, which may cause pooling.

Round gravel has much larger voids so water flows easily through them.

Hope this helps.

ED

Advertisement

de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 844

I see it as either the gravel is going to compact and the water drain with the slope of the gravel or it won't compact and the water will flow through and flow with the slope of the surface underneath.

"Gravel" is a pretty vague term.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2016, 07:33 PM   #4
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,958

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTrombone View Post
Am I crazy to think that as long as the ground is sloped correctly, the rain and snow melt will drain through the gravel, and go to the alley?
Unless I'm missing something, you are blending concepts. Slope will cause the water/snow melt to flow in a particular direction - in your case, towards the alley. Gravel will allow it to percolate down into the soil. Since you mention "snow melt", you should be more concerned about slope since when the ground is frozen, liquid will not be percolating anywhere.

Something else to consider depending on your location: Some municipalities have bylaws that require surface water to be handled within the bounds of the property (i.e. not directed to a neighbour or to municipal land except as designed, such as a ditch, drain, etc.). Depending on your situation, climate, etc. you might be leaving yourself open to a complaint.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:06 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,612

Quote:
My question is, how much should I try and slope the gravel? Can I just level it?
Ayuh,..... Carry the pitch necessary to drain the area,....

Both the sub-grade, 'n the finish grade,....

If the sub-grade is pitched, 'n ya add an even layer of toppin', Both will be pitched,....
If any water gets under the toppin', it'll still drain off,...

Win- Win,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote