Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #1

Share |

Yard Drainage

This may be the incorrect place for this question so feel free to move it.

What would the best way to divert water away from a house? My land is at a slight angle where the water is taken under the house which is causing some issues. It's a traditional foundation not a slab.

I've seen french drains but I didn't know if there was something better. The problem is that it's not really pooling in certain spots. I need something that I can install right before the house so it diverts the water to the side instead of down. If it pooled then I would know exactly what to do but I have to figure out a way to capture the water before it goes under.

Thanks!!

01grander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #2

Yard Drainage

Got some pictures?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #3

Yard Drainage

No, i'm at work right now but I can probably get some.

I just meant to say my entire lot is slightly sloped so water drains under the house. I just need to rig some sort of way to divert the water so it does not go under the house.
01grander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Yard Drainage

Quote:
I just meant to say my entire lot is slightly sloped so water drains under the house. I just need to rig some sort of way to divert the water so it does not go under the house.
Ayuh,.... The best way to do that is,...

Regrade the areas up-hill from the house, so's the water flows to 1 side or the other, or both....

It's better than dealin' with the water, After it get's there...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

Yard Drainage

I agree with Bondo, certainly the first step is to see if you can grade away from the house. The best way to see if this is possible is to prepare an accurate topographic map of the land surrounding the house. You can do this with a tape measure and a builders level, or a laser level. Then you determine where you want to drain the water to, which is usually the lowest spot on the yard, but could be a drain line, or the street if that is possible.

If it is IMPOSSIBLE to grade the land away from the house, then you would consider alternatives, which might include perimeter drains, or local swales. These are in general second tier substitutes for proper drainage, so check your lot first, let us know what you find, and go from there.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #6

Yard Drainage

Make sure gutters and downspouts are working properly

paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote