Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2008, 08:14 AM   #1

Share |

Would like a BUDGET landscaping plan.

Look for some full coverage plants/flowers the areas with the red mulch. This pic was taken in July 07, I've since added a gray stone edge between the grass and garden area. Also the mulch now looks horrible so I'm going to replace them with maintence free tan/beige egg rocks. I live in middle GA and there is a spinkler system. Of that existing plants, which I'm willing to relocate to my back yard, I only know the leftside fronts are rose bushes. No idea what the others are. I plan on moving in about two years, pending the market, budget is a major concern.

I know the pic sucks, but I'll give you an general idea. Left side of the pic is approx 20'x4' Right side is approx 10'x4'.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, lol. Again, I'm looking for some full coverage. I've visited some other sites and have liked this: Three horizontal lines of plants/flowers, tallest in the rear. Closest to the house - evergreens, middle line - thick bladed plants. Front line - flowers.

Question one, is this a typical setup and could I improve on it?
Question two, what type of everygreens would one recommend and how tall should they be? I don't know what to do since the windows are so low.
Question three, what types of plants and flowers would you guys recommend? I guess I want something stays bloomed for a relatively long time.

Bacardi 151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #2

The kind of budget that you have is what will determine what you plant. $100, $500, $1000, $5000? There are several low growing evergreens that spread if you're looking for coverage. Hostas do well in shade and can be planted closely for ground cover. As far as height of evegreens, nothing that will take over. Most evergreens get pretty tall unless you buy dwarf. Japanese Holly Sky Pencil's get about 5-7 ft tall and they are narrow.

You should google some online nurseries and check out what you like. They should have info. on where to plant, size and other details. Landscaping is an art form, where some basic rules apply but whatever you like it the best.

cibula11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #3

Can't give you any specific advice, but I have bought a few things from www.michiganbulb.com and have been very happy. They have a few pre-packaged gardens that look good and may fit your needs.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:29 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies

cibula. Probably $300. What are the basic rules?

jerryh3. I'll take a look into that, I looked at gardeners choice dot com. Incredible deals, but a lot of negative reviews about people getting DOA plants and the company customer service being non-existent. Site you post looks a lot better!

Edit: Wow, I think I'm just going to order through the MI site as I could get complete coverage for about $100.

Last edited by Bacardi 151; 03-31-2008 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:48 PM   #5

We ordered the endless bloom garden and already have a few plants starting to "leaf up" after two weeks. Good luck and post some pictures when you're done.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:31 PM   #6

Thanks, do you assume there'll be any flowering this season? I'm moving in Sept 2010, hoping for full plants by then.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi 151 View Post
Thanks, do you assume there'll be any flowering this season? I'm moving in Sept 2010, hoping for full plants by then.
They should. We ordered a full garden from them last year and had full bloom within a few months.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:06 PM   #8

I've had great luck with boxwood from Home Depot (or Lowe's). As long as you don't ignore watering, they look nice and are green year round. Depending on variety, they only grow 3-5 feet and can be trimmed to fit that low space. Check out a few gardening books and that will help you. Also, curve the planting beds -- makes it look more natural.

Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote