Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Winterizing Container Roses

I have a great rose that I bought this summer that I planted in a nice large container. It's done extremely well and is even still blooming a little. My question is what to do with it for the rest of the winter. It is an English Tea rose (hybrid) called Christopher Marlowe. The lady at the landscape store said to take it indoors to an unheated garage, which I've done, but what else do I do? Any water? Cut it back?

terryfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Winterizing Container Roses

If it were mine, I would thoroughly leach out anything hiding in the contained soil by flooding water through until it runs almost clear out the bottom of the container. I would make sure it drained completely. Then I would stick it in the garage---so long as there is no danger of it freezing there? Or if it is heated getting baked? Let it nap for the winter. Get a moisture probe to check the soil once in awhile but it should be fine. Especially if it is still blooming now? I would prune it in the Spring.

If you wanted, when you are leaching out the crud in the soil, you could flood a gentle liquid fertilizer with near or absolutely no nitrogen in it to give the roots a hybernating treat.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote