Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2008, 10:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Winter over plants

Hey green thumb's
Is there a book explaining what plants can be winterovered in my basement and how? I live in Michigan with a Michigan basement.
The frost very little has not had any affect on the plants yet.

Thanks
Deckn hand

deck hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:57 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Winter over plants

depends on what type of plant and the conditions in that short basement.

DM

Old 10-28-2008, 03:52 PM   #3

Winter over plants

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdangermouseM View Post
depends on what type of plant and the conditions in that short basement.

DM
Wish I knew ? I will get back with you when I ask Her Majesty the gardener

Thanks deck hand
Old 10-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Winter over plants

I'd love to know, too. I have gaura, geranium and a tropical Mandevilla I want to keep in my Chicago basement. Not sure if I need extra light or what else I need to do.
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

Winter over plants

Generally, any herbaceous perennial that is not cold hardy should overwinter fine in a basement once it has gone dormant. An example in the Atlanta area would be Pennisetum (Fountain grass). It will die if left in the ground but dug up and left overwinter in a garage is fine. I cut the foliage back to about six inches, just enough for a "handle", and just put them over in a corner somewhere until spring.

If it is not herbaceous, that is, does not loose its leaves and go dormant, then it will need to be brought into a lighted room. Think of a houseplant.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:05 PM   #6

Winter over plants

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Generally, any herbaceous perennial that is not cold hardy should overwinter fine in a basement once it has gone dormant. An example in the Atlanta area would be Pennisetum (Fountain grass). It will die if left in the ground but dug up and left overwinter in a garage is fine. I cut the foliage back to about six inches, just enough for a "handle", and just put them over in a corner somewhere until spring.

If it is not herbaceous, that is, does not loose its leaves and go dormant, then it will need to be brought into a lighted room. Think of a houseplant.
Ok I think I'm ok, I made a long two teer bench, set all the planters in a row. ( 12 of them all potted )
added a small amount of water. and a floresent light on a timer .
the basement is generaly about 50 degrees through the winter, unless it gets below zero for an extended time. .Then I will open the vent from the furnace this will control the temp. If the leaf's fall off I will cut them back to three inches.
I will keeep a log as to what plants make it, what won't. Trial and error ?

Wish me luck !
Deck hand
Old 11-10-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Winter over plants

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterdan View Post
I hate winter, wish summer lasted all year.
i know what you mean, we all dislike things.... like people who break the simple rules here....

DM