Window Well Filling With Water From The Drain! - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

window well filling with water from the drain!

Hope I'm posting in the right place and sorry it's so long. I know very little about drain tiles, footings, etc -- but I have a COVERED window well that has never caused any problem which has begun filling up with water when it rains. It has a brick paver patio around it with an old concrete patio under that, so I can't get to the exterior sides of the well. It has a drain with cover in the bottom, plus a white plastic pipe that sticks up about 6-7" out of the bottom of the well. It filled up and leaked into the basement last week and took over 12 hours to drain, and it's filled up again after rain last night. In addition, the wall adjacent to it has developed a leak, water actually coming in about 2 feet up, with a small crack forming. The only thing different is my neighbors diverted their sump pump runoff away from their house with plastic piping a couple months ago and those pipes are pointed toward me now -- not real close, they stop approximately 20 feet away from the corner of my house. Could this be part of the problem? Since there is decking and a brick patio around this corner of my house, I have no way of knowing what the slope is -- I've lived here 3 years and never had this happen before, am a single female and don't really know where to start. Any info would be appreciated -- oh yeah, there's a french drain in the side yard 6' out from where this is happening. I put a hose down my downspout at that corner (which also goes under the deck and out to the side yard) and water ran out fine. So this is actually backing up through the drain in the window well from somewhere, then slowly draining. I have no sump pump. Thanks again.

Advertisement

katgord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Do you know where the window well drains to. Sounds as if it is plugged. You might want to stick a garden hose down the drain and try to unclog it. It may go into the french drain as well. Hard to tell without being there. Perhaps a toilet snake down the drain as well.

Advertisement

Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Can't tell where the well drains to -- I can see where the buried gutter downspout drain comes out in the side yard, but no exit is visible for the window well drain, maybe tied to the french drain, or ... ?? If it ever stops raining I'll try snaking the drain. I did try to run a hose down it, and it filled and backed up into the well within 3-5 seconds, so I stopped. Thanks for your help.
katgord is offline   Reply With Quote