Window Well Filling With Water - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

window well filling with water

I have 3 window wells. if it rains hard, it will fill up with water. we just had about 5 inch rain storm last night, and you could see the water level in the well was halfway up the window, and seeping in through the window, into the basement. also, the well is not bolted to the foundation. is this an easy job to fix? what all is involved?

Advertisement

icu2mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 622

How is the grade of the ground by the window well? It should be sloping away from the house.

Advertisement

Old 06-13-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

In addition to 47's excellent advice, how is the water getting in the wells in the first place? Are they simply catching the water like a giant rain guage along with what falls down the wall? Is there any kind of drain in each or, if not, could one be installed? Something like a french drain or a dry well or a catch basin type with an outlet away from the house.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
Mechanical Engineer

Rewards Points: 150

Good advice so far. The simple solution I see is window well covers to keep the rain out.

Bottom line, the wells fill up because the water is going in to them faster then it drains out. The well should have a drain tied to the drain tile or have media (rock) that the water can drain through to get to the tile. This is assuming there is drain tile around the house.

My well has both but its a bigger CMU block unit.
comp1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by comp1911 View Post
Good advice so far. The simple solution I see is window well covers to keep the rain out.

Bottom line, the wells fill up because the water is going in to them faster then it drains out. The well should have a drain tied to the drain tile or have media (rock) that the water can drain through to get to the tile. This is assuming there is drain tile around the house.

My well has both but its a bigger CMU block unit.
Why do you have about 1 feet of corrugated piping sticking above the stone? I assume the piping is perforated, but still, why 1 feet?
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by icu2mamma View Post
I have 3 window wells. if it rains hard, it will fill up with water. we just had about 5 inch rain storm last night, and you could see the water level in the well was halfway up the window, and seeping in through the window, into the basement. also, the well is not bolted to the foundation. is this an easy job to fix? what all is involved?
Buy and install window well covers.

Last edited by handy man88; 06-17-2008 at 10:55 PM.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #7
Mechanical Engineer

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
Why do you have about 1 feet of corrugated piping sticking above the stone? I assume the piping is perforated, but still, why 1 feet?
Old picture of it roughed in. I just hadn't got in there and cut it flush and put the drain cover on it.

Advertisement

comp1911 is offline   Reply With Quote