Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
Liv

Share |

Window Shutters- what color?

We are in the process of making decorative board and batten shutters for our front of our rental home. Most other houses I see have dark colored shutters (darker than the trim of the house). Our house has a dark brownish-gray trim (see photo). Should we paint the shutters the same color as the trim, or maybe stain them the color of the door? Or go with a totally different color? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Attached Images

Liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #2

I would make them the same color as the trim you have now.
What are you making them out of?
A neat trick I use to figure out what color looks good for shingles, siding. trim, or colors inside a home is to go one of the big paint manufacturers web site and some have an area where you can down load a picture of your home and can add colors to see how it will look without lifting a paint brush.
Sherwin Williams and Glidden have one.

If I had to make board batten shutters I would make them out of PVC or a composite materal and use stainless steel fastners screwed in from the back side. Then then you can paint them any color you want to match.
http://www.miratectrim.com/pageBuild.asp?PageID=A_faq_m

http://www.lansingbp.com/trim.html

There's another company I've used before that the name begins with the letter K that comes almost the color of your trim but I forget the name of the company.
It still would be wood grain but you would not have to deal with the rotting wood later on.

Last edited by joecaption; 03-06-2012 at 10:43 AM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
Liv

Thanks, I think will end up painting them (mostly because I trust my painting skills more than my staining!). I'll look into the PVC and Miratec boards. Although, it might be a little more pricy than we were wanting to go. I was thinking we'd use white pine. If we do use pine, is there any wood sealer you'd recommend?
Old 03-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #4

Pine would be my last choise. Reason being is in most cases your going to have the end grain exposted on the top of the shutter. Even with priming and painting there likly to fail after a few years.
Staining is easyer and faster to do then painting, no priming needed.
If I was going with wood I would use cedar, or redwood.

One trick I've used so the tops do not have exposed grains is to attach a strip of wood across the tops to sort of act as a rain cap.
A slight angle on the cuts at the tops will also help to make the water run off.

When it comes to rental homes the whole idea is to make money and not spend money and time having to keep going over there to work on it.
A few extra dollars spent now will end up making you more money in the long run.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
Liv

That's a good point, I hadn't thought about the top grains being exposed. Thanks for all of your help.