Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Will Small Green Giant Plants survive inside?

I have a very large landscape project planned next year, but I'm kind of on a budget. First up is my privacy screen that will be around 150' x 40' with green giants/other evergreens/shrubs/flowers/etc. I can either purchse the larger green giants next year at $10-$20 each depending on size or I could purchase peat pot size green giants (around 10" high) for $2 each. I'm thinking of getting the $2 ones this year. Then I'll put each into a sepearate larger plasic container with potting mix. The containers will have holes for good drainage. I'll keep them inside in front of my sliding glass door to get sun.

Would they survive if I did this? They would need to live in the containers for apox 5 months (next spring). The two concerns I have is that they might not make it, of course and since these are rapid growing they may get to large for the containers.

Reason being is that I hope these little fellas would grow the size of the larger $10 ones by the time I planted them.

Thanks!

ricksample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

I grew a flowering maple in my house one winter and it bloomed.

It worked because I was putting water from a fish tank in it.

Oops! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I don't think the roots will grow much during the winter season.
If they do, break them apart before planting in the yard.
Stillwerkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Your Green Giants are a species of Arborvitae, winter hardy to at least zone 5, and require a cold dormant period. If you keep them inside, they will not go dormant. If they were mine, I would plant the entire container in the ground, mulch, and surround with chicken wire so deer/groundhogs/rabbits, etc. cannot get to them.
GardenConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenConcepts View Post
Your Green Giants are a species of Arborvitae, winter hardy to at least zone 5, and require a cold dormant period. If you keep them inside, they will not go dormant. If they were mine, I would plant the entire container in the ground, mulch, and surround with chicken wire so deer/groundhogs/rabbits, etc. cannot get to them.
I received them and they were actually larger than what I had planned. They said between 7-10" and they were actually around 14-16" so that was a pleasant surprise. They didn't arive in posts.

I planted them on the back side against my house with a misture of good bagged soil and my soil. Then I put a little mulch around each one and also put a little straw on top as well. Then To the left and in front I put a couple bails of straw to block the winter winds. I will put stuff on the right side tonight so the dear won't get to them.

Do you think this will be acceptable?
ricksample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Sounds like you did it just right.

GardenConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote