Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2012, 05:15 AM   #1
Yardman

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Who likes quickrete?

I work at a lumber yard, that sells basically sells anything you would probly need to build a house from the ground up as far as i know.(only worked there little over a month so far). But the quickrete is not the best fast drying concrete. I have heard nothing but good things from customers that I have to, that ASHGROVE is a lot better. The owner, if im not mistaken, actually came to my store, talked to a few people, including me, telling me about it. It has alot more concrete in it than rocks and the not needed stuff. Any opinions?

Chicyardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Who likes quickrete?

Quote:
It has alot more concrete in it than rocks and the not needed stuff.
Ayuh,.... Concrete recipes have been 'round for years, 'n years...

A 3000lb mix is a 3000lb mix... a 5000lb mix, is a 5000lb mix...

I've never heard of that product, 'n if you talked to the owner, I'm guessin' it's a local product...

Btw,... Portlant cement, without enough aggregate isn't Better, nor necessarily stronger....

Concretes strength comes from it's aggregate, not so much it's glue...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Who likes quickrete?

Agreed. And branding a mix differently doesn't change what it is. Sounds like you encountered a great salesperson!

Your question is also out of context. Bagged concrete mix is not for everything. Could one brand formula be better than another? For what purpose?

Last edited by user1007; 07-06-2012 at 08:39 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 14

Who likes quickrete?

I think Ashgrove is a cement company, that may also do some very minor bagging of pre-proportioned concrete and mortar mixes for many different uses.

Quikrete and Sakrete are producers of prepackaged concrete and mortar mixes that are available nationally. They generally use local aggregates and buy cement from different cement producers to manufacture a wide range of products that are designed to meet the many different standards and specifications. Quikrete and Sakrete could very well use Ashgrove cement at some locations, unless Ashgrove was a competitor since all cements meet the appropriate ASTM specifications.

It could be that the Ashgrove "owner" was just upset about not supplying cement to the packager.

By the way - Concrete does not "dry out" and it cures using available moisture to gain strength. If it is dried out, it stops gaining strength.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6

Who likes quickrete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicyardman View Post
I work at a lumber yard, that sells basically sells anything you would probly need to build a house from the ground up as far as i know.(only worked there little over a month so far). But the quickrete is not the best fast drying concrete. I have heard nothing but good things from customers that I have to, that ASHGROVE is a lot better. The owner, if im not mistaken, actually came to my store, talked to a few people, including me, telling me about it. It has alot more concrete in it than rocks and the not needed stuff. Any opinions?
"It has alot more concrete in it than rocks and the not needed stuff." Any opinions?

Yes i have an opinion,the above statement doesn't make one bit of sense!
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote