Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Whitefly resistant trees?

Is there such a thing? The neighbors orange trees have this, and they spread onto a big tree between our house and garage, making a mess.

My wife wants to cut down the tree (I don't like that idea, may try some treatments, but it's too big to spray the whole tree).

If we DID cut it down, I really want another tree there. But is there something naturally resistant to whitefly? I was Googling but couldn't find anything...

Head_Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Well if you want to do the "green" thing, you can go to a nursery that sells ladybugs and buy several bags. They will feast on the whiteflies until they are gone. You can also purchase insect wasps (but not sure of CA restrictions on that-your local nursery should know).

Also, you can plant some repellent plants (see list below). I would stick to native trees due to CA water restrictions. Trees that attract swallows will have few whiteflies because swallows are natural predators.

As for pest applications, the best defense is a good offense. You probably need a soil injection of an imidacloprid systemic. If it is just one tree, it might not be too expensive. Foliar sprays are ineffective if you have the infestation. You need a systemic that goes through the tree. It kills and prevents.

DON'T use a systemic and ladybugs though..the systemic will kill them.

Natural predators: I found this online. A friend of mine uses wasps to control flies on her horse farm and they work great.

http://www.arbico-organics.com/categ...guide-whitefly
Ladybug (Delphastus pusillus): those hard working friends of gardeners! The ladybug larvae will consume up to 1000 whitefly eggs in its lifetime but also feeds on nymphs.
Green Lacewing (Chrysoperla spp.): the most voracious, effective predator.
Trichogramma wasps
Encarsia formosa: a tiny golden wasp which is a parasitoid meaning it actually kills its host. The best time to use Encarsia is between mid-March and mid-September. They are most effective on the greenhouse whiteflies.
Preventative Measures
Repellant plants: African, French marigolds (Tagetes), Calendula, nasturtiums, and Peruvian cherry.

Good luck...I hate whitefly.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Huh, I never thought about ladybugs. Where do you buy those?

The whitefly has been there mildly in the past but is now all over the tree, and sticky leaves all over the floor.
Head_Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head_Unit View Post
Huh, I never thought about ladybugs. Where do you buy those?

The whitefly has been there mildly in the past but is now all over the tree, and sticky leaves all over the floor.
I buy them at a local nursery, but you can go to the link in my first post above and they sell them. Or you can google them. Good luck!
Old 08-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 131

I have them in a coconut palm and have to spray it with water often. I will check out the lady bugs. They don't bother my Foxtail Palms but I am not sure if you have those in so Cal. I think my Royal Palm and Christmas Palm is fly free as well. The neighbors Alexander Palms look okay.

I really like Foxtails.

I think they only like coconut palms, in the plam family, but ask around.
FrankL is offline   Reply With Quote