Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #1

Share |

white under leaves of flowers

Hi guys,
something is eating my flowers big time. First, the petunia leaves were gone, only the strain left (see the picture). Now it moved to other plant (forgot the name), see the picture. What I found is that the leaves are covered (underneath only) with some white things (fungus or something?). From what I research on the net, looks like Powdery Mildew, but I am not sure. I would appreciate if the experts can tell me what is that, and where to look for treatment. The flowers are, unfortunately, in the shadow most of the time.
Attached Thumbnails
white under leaves of flowers-p9082611_web1.jpg   white under leaves of flowers-p9082620_web1.jpg  

AlphaBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #2

It could be powdery mildew. Where are you located?

I have problems with mildew on my fruit vines when we get long periods of warm wet weather with high humidity (pretty much par for the course here in S.E. Massachusetts in August).

Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunder Chicken For This Useful Post:
AlphaBeta (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #3

located in Illinois.
AlphaBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #4

I don't know much about treatments, but things you can do are limit your watering, and only water early in the day (gives the leaves a chance to dry before nightfall). Try to keep the leaves dry, period.

Rain and humidity won't obey the above rules. If the plants are in a shady spot with poor air circulation, that certainly won't help matters.

Someone here might be able to describe some treatments, but the best solution is to look hard at your plantings and see if the location is appropriate for them. Petunias really like lots of sun and so if they are getting mostly shade they won't thrive and the certainly won't shake off fungal infections.

The good news is that the end of the growing season is close at hand, and early fall is a good time to move petunias. Look around for a sunny spot in your yard that might be a better place for them and transplant them soon.

Gardening is just like real estate - location, location, location.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunder Chicken For This Useful Post:
AlphaBeta (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Chicken View Post
I don't know much about treatments, but things you can do are limit your watering, and only water early in the day (gives the leaves a chance to dry before nightfall). Try to keep the leaves dry, period.

Rain and humidity won't obey the above rules. If the plants are in a shady spot with poor air circulation, that certainly won't help matters.

Someone here might be able to describe some treatments, but the best solution is to look hard at your plantings and see if the location is appropriate for them. Petunias really like lots of sun and so if they are getting mostly shade they won't thrive and the certainly won't shake off fungal infections.

The good news is that the end of the growing season is close at hand, and early fall is a good time to move petunias. Look around for a sunny spot in your yard that might be a better place for them and transplant them soon.

Gardening is just like real estate - location, location, location.
Great advice.

Remember that many mold spores that take on leaves hide in the soil. If you are watering with hose at typical household pressure and flow rate, you may be splasing the mold or fungus spores as you go.

Think about installing drip irrigation next year. You will love it and your plants even more and it works in gallons per hour. You garden hose and sprinklers you attach to it work in gallons per minute.

Given you notice a mold or fungus problem, clean your garden as best you can this Fall and bag all leaf and lawn waste.

Here in the city, by the way, mold counts prompted an air quality alert a few days ago. You are not alone if that is at all comforting.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Chicken View Post
Petunias really like lots of sun and so if they are getting mostly shade they won't thrive and the certainly won't shake off fungal infections.

Petunias typically get really leggy by mid august anyway if they've been allowed to go to seed.

A good cut back seems ruthless, but if done early enough you can get a nice second show before frost.

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
AlphaBeta (09-08-2012)