Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2007, 11:31 AM   #1

Share |

White Spruce seedlings/seeds

Hey guys,

I was thinking about buying some white spruce seedlings or seeds, however I don't know which one to go with.

I can get 1,000 seeds for $3.50 OR
I can get 6-inch 30 seedlings/plugs for $24.00

Which one should I do?

I'd like to plant some white spruce along my property line. The soil there is pretty much like gravel with a thin top layer (maybe 1" thick) of black soil. I only go there once every two weeks because it's far away, so I'd need a tree that's good in gravel-like soil and won't be watered by myself very often.
andrgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:43 PM   #2

It's been about five weeks... anybody?

Seeds or seedlings (plugs)?
andrgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:24 AM   #3

White spruce get huge remember. I would personally go with the seedlings. I think they are easier to manage, if you are going with a formal look. At maturity (sure why plan for 50 years from now...) the white spruce will only need to be 20-30 feet apart and still will have thier branches reach the next tree, of course you will want to thin out the line as it grows, so some mortality is to be expected. I don't think that price is much of an issue for you really what's 20 bucks difference in one purchase. If you were to keep making purchases like this for a company over and over, then seeds might be more efficient. Also if you want the trees planted informally, or more naturally seeds might be more effective, you will have more trees, more randomness. If there is already vegetation present the seedlings will have a distinct advantage over seeds.
razwick is offline   Reply With Quote